View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default NATO Combined ADVENT CROWN OOB 1 APR 97

FightingFlamingo

NATO Combined ADVENT CROWN OOB 1 APR 97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on my earlier OOB's from my altered V1 Timeline.

SouthAG formed in Jan 07 follow withdrawl of Italy, Greece, Belgium and France from NATO. Primarily facing Czech Border in FRG.

FRG Polizei Units responsible for rear area security in Occupied WP Territiory
US Civil Affairs Units resposible for handling refugee's and restoration of local administration by Polish Free Congress in NATO Occupied Poland
Attached Files Operation Advent Crown OOB 1 April 1997.doc (39.0 KB, 60 views)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by FightingFlamingo : 03-02-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: IV FRG Korps listed twice by mistake in previous file

FightingFlamingo

Antenna

I don't gonna say much, but the thing I say ..... is I like your work Flamingo

Antenna

I can only make one person happy per day...
Today ain't your day...
Tomorrow seems to be a bad day also...

Antenna

Visit Antenna's homepage!

Targan

Top work FightingFlamingo, thanks.

Targan

DeaconR

Nice work Flamingo. BTW, are you one of those who kind of counts the Spanish out of the war? Because they'd have a whole army corps to contribute, you know. Also, not to quibble, but are you making up SOUTHAG? Because I have never seen such a unit described in the old NATO ORBATs, but I could be wrong of course.

DeaconR

FightingFlamingo

Deacon I got SouthAG from Hackett's book... I use it as an ad hoc command tor forces facing the Czech Border, and incorporating the Austrian Army once that front opens up, thus leaving NorthAG and CentAG to pursue the offensive into Poland, and Czechoslovakia... I didn't want to leave the right flank completely exposed, just weak.

I don't leave Spain or Portugal out, but I have them supporting AFSouth. I'm going to Assume that AFSouth's headquarters will displace to someplace in Spain, following the withdrawl of Italy and Greece from NATO. There will be a forward HQ someplace in Anatolian Turkey, with a Tactical HQ in European Turkey for AFSouth but I haven't worked that out yet.

Shipping issues, and French Neutrality, are big reasons why I haven't done anything with the Spanish or Portugese Militaries yet. Getting them to Germany would be tough (Most available shipping would go to units coming from CONUS, Canada, and the UK), and overland or rail deployment would have to go through France which would not be allowed because of the French Neutrality. I am considering deployement of some light units by air to support Turkey, but that is problematic because of supply ( which would have to be maintained through hostile naval combat zones) until the Greek, Italian, and Soviet navies in the Med had been sent to the bottom.

FightingFlamingo

DeaconR

I was sort of thinking that the Spanish and Porguese forces, perhaps supported by local US and British forces might make an offensive against Italy at some point. Perhaps deploying against the Italian Mountain Corps or some such. At the very least they might simply by deploying draw Italian strength elsewhere.

Your points are well taken. And I blush to admit it but I've never gotten around to reading Hackett's book. I see it in the library on occasion but I'm always doing something else there.

DeaconR

FightingFlamingo

Spanish or Portugese Forces couldn't have a land attack against the Northern Italy because of France... but possibly and amphibous airborne attack against Sardina, then Sicily...

FightingFlamingo

chico20854

That might be a good use for the Portugese and Spanish militaries. Sicily is the more important choke point to hit. The only US ground forces in the Med are the 2d Marine Division's 8th Regiment, used (according to the v1 US Army vehicle guide) in amphibious operations in support of 6th Fleet. The Portugese have an airborne battalion (plus 2 independent companies and 10 SF companies) and 3 battalions of marines, while the Spaniards have a marine brigade (equipped with LVPTs, armor and artillery), an airborne brigade (with arty and antitank) and an airmobile brigade. While lift is pretty sparse (a brand new Spanish LPD, a handful of old LSTs plus whatever the US can add, C-130s and comandeered civilian ships and aircraft), once the Med is clear they can go and try to shore up the Turkish front or run up the Adriatic to help Yugoslavia and Romania.

I also thought the US 401st TFW would redeploy its F-16s from Torrejon, Spain to Turkey pretty quick. And the SETAF (US Airborne task force, actually a reinforced battalion until built up to the 187th Abn Bde in the 1990s) I also envision going to Turkey quickly. I'm not sure how this fits in with the 187th in Kenya though... is this the same unit or a new one taking the 187th title? And what's in Kenya that's so vital that that it's the only place in Africa to have US ground forces committed?

chico20854

Matt Wiser

173rd Airborne Brigade formed out of SEATF in T2K (and IRL). Main reason for a Kenya deployment: There's a functioning oil refinery in Mombasa. And an
relatively friendly government there.