View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
Bu remember, I am asking because I am weighing the feasibility for a group to store the needed materials/assets/personnel to launch them after the nukes fly.

I would be ok with a sort of "throw away" comms satellite. Something in low orbit for easier installation, with the expectation it wouldn't last but a few years/months or something.
I am with the Hell No crowd. A 60-100 ft tall 2-stage rocket is not something you store quietly in pieces in a a garage to take out when you need it. Nor is assembly and launch something you can manage with two or three smart guys and a bunch of muscle. And a built rocket (and/or satellite) is not something you can cart away one evening when no one is looking - the components are too damn big, and too few not to be noticed.

You need engineers and technicians for multiple disciplines to create, wire, assemble, and fuel. Oh, and a rather consistent and strong power source.

Rocket fuel components are not something you can recreate with toys cobbled together - Liquid Oxygen is very difficult to create, store, and transfer. other fuels are no better. Solid fuel rockets, while easier to handle and still very volatile

The launchpad is a rather special piece of equipment by itself. See above.

This is before we discuss the satellite itself. It's not like you find one off the shelf at Walmart. Building things to operate in space requires expertise, clean rooms (repeat what was said above for power), and knowledge.

I will avow that some who knew what they were doing could calculate a path to orbit with paper and pencil and a lot of time.

Then there is operating the satellite....

I could see coming across the aftermath of such a scheme - a large crater surrounded by a lot of burned ground...

If New America had that many resources, they could do MANY more effective things with them than to launch a communications satellite.

The same several hundred people (more if traded for grunts) in one location would be more effective as a cohesive fighting force than the dubious benefit or a comm satellite. (NA can just use good ham radio.)

Uncle Ted