View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
First, don't some of these career paths have an excessive number of first term skills? I counted some as high as 13-14.

Secondly, some of these don't make sense without new skills: you need Sports for professional athletes and Theology for priests, for example.
I'll address the Sports and Theology question, first.

If you look at the existing skill list, you'll note that a lot of the standard sports, baseball, football, and boxing, to name three, can be covered with existing skills.

For example, a PC might say his character used to play minor league baseball. He might pick Melee Weapons 2, Thrown Weapons 1, and CON 1. The Melee Weapons skill would cover his ability to use a baseball bat, while his Thrown Weapons skill the ability to throw a baseball (grenades and baseballs are not that different in size, after all). CON is listed in the Background Skill list as an option to take. The definition they provide is Running.

Thus, a minor league baseball player, say, an outfielder, would need to be able to hit the ball (Melee Weapons), throw the ball (Thrown Weapons), and run (CON +1). Given a four year term, he probably was a high draft pick, maybe even called up as a September call up, and got some good press, thus the minor notoriety.

By the same token, an Olympic swimmer would put her ranks in Swimming. Same for an Olympic competition shooter (or a professional shooter, for that matter).

So, no Sports skill needed, IMHO.

Theology would be handled much the same way. Persuasion, Instruction, and Language would be required to study Theology, anyway.

I'll have to address the skill points later, as I've got an appraiser here appraising my house. I'll return when I am able.

Regards,
Goon

Last edited by WonderGoon; 02-16-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Realized I had made an accounting error in my outfielder example.