Thread: Korean Omega
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
According to the v1.0 U.S. Army Vehicle Guide, there are approximately 15,400 U.S. troops based in Korea as of June, 2000.

AFAIK, canon makes no mention of the fate of these troops. If I'm wrong about that, I'd like to know.

Let's assume that I'm correct. From the existing descriptions of the fighting in Korea through the summer of 2000, it sounds like the PKA would have ceased to exist as a large, conventional military force. Considering the size of the fully-mobilized ROK military (even after sustaining massive casualties), and the relative paucity of Soviet forces in Korea, c. 2000 (4,000 troops and 19 MBTs listed in the v1.0, Soviet Vehicle Guide), it stands to reason that the ROK probably doesn't need (or want) all 15,400 of those American troops sticking around, consuming badly-needed supplies and such. The ROK would likely welcome, if not actively pursue, at least a partial evacuation of U.S. forces from the peninsula.

Assuming that is the case, where would those troops go? Is it possible that their arrival on the U.S. west coast in early 2001 might explain the seemingly inexplicable demobilization of the troops arriving returning from Europe care of Operation Omega? Perhaps troops returning home from Korea are committed to expelling the Mexican forces from California and the American Southwest.

Or, do the American troops remain in Korea past early 2001? If so, what are they up to (besides fighting the remains of the KPA and their Soviet allies)?

Discuss.
I imagine, as in Europe, some would stay and some would go. Did I hear you say you were doing the long awaited Korean/south east Asia source book!?