Thread: Game Breaker
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM

I've not had that problem yet myself, but I have played in a game recently that the players forced the GM to abandon. One of our group was very keen to run a D20 StarWars game, so we said go for it. Unfortunately he had no real knowledge of the rules, which really slowed things down as he kept having to stop and look things up. We could have perservered with it but he was running a massively scripted game, more like he was directing a film than proper roleplaying, and a lot of the time that we attempted to do things we were flat out told 'No, you can't do that'. I know that there has to be a certain amount of scripting in a game otherwise it wouldn't progress, but we got to the point where we felt that nothing we did had any impact on the game as he had planned out everything, including what we were meant to do in every situation. On top of this he was favouring one of the players massively over everyone else, so we sat down, talked it through and binned the idea.

I don't think that this is where your game is - I think the characters are merely attached to somethin that they have worked hard on, fought from and come to consider home - kudos on generating this level of feeling in a game, its very hard to do. I think the players will realise that they have to move on at some stage, and are possibly just roleplaying their disillusionment with leaving what has become a place of safety?