View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
The operator would see a huge radar reflection and have to decide from speed, distance, and range what that image could be.
From the AN/PPS-05 training videos I have watched, the operator stops the scan and listens to the returns and can determine from the different sounds between a single man walking, a squad walking, a Jeep, a 1 ton truck or a 2.5 ton truck.

This excerpt from an AN/PPS-15 training manual give an indication of what I mean:

5. Target Presentation. Target information is presented by the AN/PPS15(V)2, radar set by both visual and audible indications. The prime method of target indication is provided by the target audio in the operator's headset. Variations in the sounds heard in the headset provide an indication of the size and type of target(s) detected. Visual indications of range and azimuth are provided by digital indicators. In addition, a peaking indicator provides visual indication of signal strength which enables the operator to determine when the radar set antenna is oriented directly at the target. Alarm circuits also provide audible and visual indications of target detection as a tone from the alarm speaker and a blinking alarm indicator lamp. Only moving targets can be detected. Examples of moving targets are a man standing still but moving his arms, a man walking or running, and a moving vehicle. In any case, the target must have motion.

and here is a training video on the AN/PPS-05 to show exactly what I am talking about. It's only about 25 minutes long, but the part with the operation of the radar starts around the 14 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/DMIxvBBt7Vw