View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
it goes right back to an earlier point...Prime Base should never have been a module, rather designed as a larger sourcebook.

Every time I think I'm getting a handle on Prime, someone tosses in a "why the $&@(*$% didn't I think of that" item. Its aggravating to say the least!

The problem, as I see it, is that the Old TL bunch tried to put too much into Prime. It was the National Headquarters, it would monitor in real time, the destruction and breakdown of the United States, it would stockpile critical knowledge/material, the list goes on and on. But is all of this really necessary for Prime Base?
This comes down to a decision by the Project planning staff. Is it better to have a single "highly secure location: with all your eggs in it than spread those eggs around to a number of "less ideal" places? There is really no right or wrong answer as there are trade offs with either choice. In the distributed base model discovery of any one base before the war will quite likely result in the entire Project being compromised. Attempting to secretly construct a number of fairly large bases (as opposed to tiny bolt holes) is also tricky and leads to increased risk. If the planners criteria indicated that a very small number of locations would meet the needs for a large base they may have been forced to combined functions into a smaller number of multi function locations. If the construction resources were tight this could also have forced them into that direction. If instead they located numerous places bases could be built and hidden and had the ability to simultaneously construct several large bases they might have gone the other route.

In canon it would appear that the planners were constrained to build only 1 or 2 major bases for these or other reasons.

AS for there being no Prime Base module. In canon there has to be a PB adventure. Its loss is a cornerstone of the universe. How can this be ignored. It might not be the module originally written but there has to be SOME module dealing with this