View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 03:06 PM

i lived on Ft Huachuca in 95 and live near now. so i might be able to help.

the post has 7-10 pac 75s (21 gun salutes for vips (alive and dead) and change of commands). they even had a local guy remill a breach for one of them in 2005. so they could be brought back live.

Next there was a sig BDE on post with a MP Co. (with crowd control horses)

in 94-95 they had a UAS testing/training unit. with RC (helo and fixed wings) and even a few predators and hunters class of UAS.

They also had the 112 MI BDE (pov) after 9/11

They had the B troop 4th cav (memorial) complete with horses and stuff

The local post stable was called Bufffalo Corral with dozens of horses for rent and to maintain the MP and Cav animals. there is a trail they would ride on from the base to lake Patagonia i road it a few times (on tours) but its a...Challange for horse or foot.

Next the base has a dirt landing strip and Sierra Vista's airport's runway is long enough for U-2 (they would bring them in for airshow displays). Locals say it was for emergency space shuttle landings. (don't know if that is true but its a beast that can land and take off fully loaded 747 without issue (saw it when units came back from overseas)

Next odd thing. There are 18 ICBM (minutemen II) silos in the area. (filmed Star Trek first contact in one of them) used to belong to 390 missile wing. that might be useful for other things now.

next there was a large soda transshipping point near the base. (molotovs for everyone.

Bisbee has more than a few large stills for home brewed drinks. (see Brewery Gulch)

Tombstone. besides a lot of guns, there are lots and lots of mines both active and not in the town and around. Big Nose Kates (bar) even has one you can see in the basement. That is not uncommon in Tombstone and Bisbee to have a mine shaft access. surprise finding open mine shafts is still an issue, but the bats love them.... and bears, and mountain lions ect

almost forgot. the base ASP used to keep goats and sheep to cut the grass under control. Those might be more useful now. along with the three large animal rescue groups in the valley.