View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
My point is

There what the Project was supposed to be on start, not what it is with Prime Base off line and faulty computer code sending random wake up codes 150 years to late.

The Project is of course about reconstruction. The reality is that it is a WAR that caused all the chaos that needs to be repaired and rebuilt from. There is no guarantee that the war is over five years after 19 November 1989. There isn't a guarantee that hostile forces are not occupying American soil at year five (there is and in more than one location). Further there isn't any indication that the Soviets are completely done with and cannot retaliate further.
To be honest, I agree with that thinking. There is no certainty that the war is over and that modern threats don't exist. I would also question how far the project anticipated the industrial-tech and the economic infrastructure that existed to maintain that capacity.

But at the end of the day, there is still a challenge. Having a significant air wing can be hugely expensive and the problem of secrecy remains. I can understand utilizing something like a commercial or private jet and make it duel use- a weaponized Leer jet perhaps, but buying and maintaining advanced fighter aircraft or attack aircraft would seem to be a huge challenge for what is essentially a private company.

While it is fair to say that there have been multinational corporations with military assets- such as Heritage Oil owning Executive Outcomes, even EO was limited in its use of a military arm- buying mostly old Russian Hind Helicopters for its operations in Africa. And EO was an unusual case and drew a lot of criticism. It is simply hard to purchase advanced military tech if you are a private company. IF you are going to have a company Morrow Industries acquiring advanced weapons like F5 aircraft, you need a story to justify or explain how that could happen? Was Morrow working as a private military contractor, training militaries in South America in drug interdiction, and thus had reason to buy COIN aircraft for the war on drugs? And yes, I think it fair to ask- well how did Morrow get its other military gear? There is no easy answer.

I would also think that there is a leap between having a Morrow Project with an combat air wing, a transportation air-wing, and then the need for some organic air defense. Having air-defense is different from having an air force.

Quote:
That is why I continue to believe that the Project would have acquired F-5s for air superiority mission over Prime Base and critical Project assets like the (censored) in OP Desert Search.
F5S aircraft are used by a number of foreign countries. But its an airplane that is getting pretty old too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

If Morrow Project follows the original timeline and the war happens in the 1980s, ok. More modern war and I would be worried that the F5s would get shot out of the air. Investing in an expensive plane that is unlikely to be competitive for its mission could be risky. Will you update it with a more advance fighter?

Then there is the question of capacity again- if only countries fly the F5 and we compare them, is Morrow more like Singapore or like Kenya? Probably more like Kenya in terms of spending capacity. An airforce like a small African country- ok, I can see that.

Quote:
Now, Are those going to be operable in year 150+ ? Well, I am not handing Prime Base or a Regional base over to the players, so I am not giving them F-5s. That is an asset for the PD to bring into play if the players have really messed up the B&B or Lonestar campaigns. Are they going to fly? Well, V-150s do, all the ordnance in the bolt holes and caches does. F-5s cannot be more complex than HAAM suits, Science One, or a MARS one....... Hell that can't be more complex than a cryosleep chamber. If hand waving works for those I am going to allow it for F-5s and spare parts.
I have to admit, I also find some of this high tech to be dicey, but you make a good point. In the end however, I have to go with the idea raised by stormlion- keep it simple and small. Tech in Morrow is problematic across the board as you need to develop your story so that the tech makes sense and adds to the story rather than deflects it or confuses it. The more you use, the more tenuous your story becomes.

Last edited by welsh; 04-23-2014 at 01:17 PM.