View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Purpose

Thank you for this work! It is community contributors like yourself who make our hobby great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monastery

I will not attempt to replicate the entire Wikipedia entry, but would recommend reading it to get a better background understanding of the origins, history, and various manifestations of monasteries throughout our history.

It traditionally is unlikely that a monastery would be co-ed. Even 150 years after the big blow up, it is more likely that the traditional focus of one sex/gender per institution. Were this in a game I was playing, finding a co-ed monastery would "ruffle my jimmies" and break immersion, UNLESS you come up with a very compelling reason for this break.

Also I would encourage you as a creator/PD/GM to come up with WHY this monastery exists.
  • WHO founded it? This creates the backstory of the saint/abbey/abbess founder.
  • WHY was it founded? Traditionally monasteries have meaning that is political/religious/economic/historic and in keeping with their surroundings. They often became locally powerful and important to the economic life of their environs.
  • WHEN was it founded? Is this a remnant of pre-war? Is this recent? This gives depth to your expression of it in game. Which also aids immersion for your players.
  • HOW was it founded? There may be a cool back story here, sacred artifacts, holy writings, collective survival/defence that became established compound.
Just the act of thinking through these things will help make this a better product overall.

Good luck!