View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I don't have any detail on the sea bases yet, but the last update I made to my air bases had:

Per regional base (7):
2 MV-22B Osprey teams with 2 aircraft per team (28 total)

1 MH-6 Little Bird team with 4 aircraft (28 total)

1 UAV Team with 4 MQ-9 Reapers and 8 MQ-8B Fire Scouts (28/56 total)

Per national base (3):
1 CH-53K team with 2 aircraft (6 total)

1 MH-6 Little Bird team with 4 aircraft (12 total)

1 AH-64D Apache Longbow team with 4 aircraft (12 total)

1 C-130J Super Hercules team with 3 aircraft (9 total)

1 UAV Team with 8 MQ-9 Reapers (24 total)

That gives a total of 95 manned aircraft (9 planes, 58 helicopters, 28 ospreys) and 108 unmanned aircraft (52 planes, 56 helicopters). They nominally need 375 flight crew and probably as many maintainers (making generous assumptions). I assign the aircrew to Aviation Teams (all in MARS) but the maintainers are all assigned to the air bases.

I don't use any fixed wing combat aircraft because the only place they would be uniquely useful would be in air superiority, and that's a non starter - if there are any other aircraft, they will be flying at the start of Project operations before runways can be reliably restored, so air superiority really needs to be worked out with VERTOL, rotary wing, or ground-based assets. They would probably also need to be jets, and that means chemical fuels instead of fusion reactors and that means a bunch of complications just to handle one relatively brief period of operations. I assume that superior Project sensing, missile, and cannon systems can handle unfriendly aircraft.

When I left this I was stuck between "that is way too many aircraft" and "i think that's what I need", so I would probably trim it down from there.
What powers these air assets?