View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 01:36 AM
Registered Registrant

I'd like to add three things to think about, one that is very much "it all depends on where it was manufactured"-kind of thing, the second that is a little bit more relevant and the third is all about how you view the Littlefield collection in your own gameworld.

.30-06 Linked Ammunition:
There were still a number of countries using this on particular armoured vehicles. For example, the Australian M113 APCs were fitted with the Cadillac Gage T50 turret that typically housed either a combo of M2 and M1919 MGs or a pair of M1919 MGs. The M1919s were still .30-06 and are still being used on those M113 family vehicles that haven't been updated to the Australian AS4 standard.
The point being while we manufacture the majority of our own smallarms ammo, we still bought linked .30-06 from the US at times. The implication being that someone in the US is still making it however where that facility is, I have no idea. It could just as easily be in any city that was on the Soviet target list for all I know.

The Centurion Tank:
The "Cent" was built to Imperial measurements. I vaguely recall that the British didn't use the Metric system for armoured vehicles until the 1970s e.g. Scorpion family, AT105 Saxon and so on, although I am not actually certain of the exact timing although it was well after the building of the Centurion. I think the Chieftain was also built to Imperial measurements as well.

The Littlefield Collection:
Littlefield had a tendancy to collect anything that might be useful to refurbishing and rebuilding so even if the parts collection isn't worth the effort, the tools and sundry supplies (including the POL stores he had) would probably be very tempting and something I can imagine the military in the area would like to secure for their own use and/or to keep it out of anyone else's hands.

Olefin and I have had our disagreements about various things but in this instance I agree with him that the Littlefield Collection is worthwhile.
I very much understand the argument that pre-1970s vehicles are probably more trouble than they are worth and I do tend to agree with it and of course, everything depends on how the GM wants to build the gameworld.

However I do think that, even disregarding the vehicles, the ancillary items in Littlefield's museum would be worth recovering. The camouflage nets, jerrycans, vehicle carried tools (shovels, axes and so on), mechanics tools, basic items like nuts & bolts, steel etc. etc., paints and POL stores alone would be worth the effort of securing the facility.