View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
For exertion, I think I'd tie it in to the four-hour periods, so that each period of Easy Work adds x0.125 and each period of Hard Work adds x0.25, starting from a typical base of 4L (based on 3 MREs being 1.5 kilograms and ~3750 kilocalories) AND apply the amount after accounting for weather/altitude (i.e. in Hot, Arid weather, the x0.25 applies to the doubled base, rather than being added to the x2 multiplier).

This would mean that in Europe, each four-hour period spent marching would require an extra 1L of water that day, while time spent foraging would require an extra 0.5L per period. Marching for 12 hours would require a total of 7L of water (4L base and 3L for three periods of hard work). In Iraq, the base would be 8L, and you'd need an extra 2L per period spent marching. The exact numbers may need tweaking, but safe water should be a concern.
After reading an Army Study Guide, the desert amount may actually be an under-estimate, since they recommended 2 quarts (roughly 1.9 liters) per hour of hard work, where I only suggested 2 liters per period (4 hours). They also recommend 2 gallons (~7.6 liters) per 20 miles marched during the day, which would take 2 periods, so ~4 liters per period marching. However, their numbers also appear to be total (i.e. there is no base amount being added to, just an amount to replace losses from exertion), so it's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison.