View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

For the Polish Internal Troops, I just threw my hands up in frustration. The army was reluctant to be used for internal security tasks, so the communist government set up a host of other paramilitary armed formations:

MO (militia) - regular police.
ORMO (voluntary reserve of the police) - kind of police auxiliary,
some anti-civil disturbance role
ZOMO (mechanized units of the police) - riot cops, motorized with
some BTR-60s & BTR-152s.
NOMO (ZOMO reserves) - riot cop reserves - former ZOMO members
ROMO (police reserves) - former border guards, cops & such brought in
to supplement ZOMO, poorly organized, trained & equipped.
NJW (internal troops) - equivalent to Soviet MVD internal troops.
WOW (Internal army) - militia, intended for rear area security, some
units equivalent to Soviet MVD internal troops.
OT (Territorial defense) - another militia, territorial defense &
rear area security mission
SB (Secret police) - the real bad-asses, equivalent to Stasi,
Securitate, etc...

Rather than try to figure out orbats for all these organizations, the DC group is just going to throw them together into ad-hoc internal security groups when we wargame the Battle of Poland - a division of troops in Warsaw, a brigade or regiment in other cities over 250,000. (Smaller cities and formations don't figure into the Third World War wargame system).

I have yet to piece together a complete Soviet MVD orbat. I found Byelorussia's online somewhere and have parts of Ukraine's. It's definitely still a work in progress.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...