View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseSoldier View Post
Very nice write up.

On the SAS weaponry, I don't know if the L119s would exist in the Twilight War timeline. US and everyone else's enthusiasm for M4 style carbines probably did not take hold to the same extent and in the same way, with M4/C8/etc being more of a personal defense weapon than a primary. Not to say the SAS wouldn't be running CAR-15s, Canadian C8s, or US M4s, just that I don't see them having a version tweaked to their requirements (largely driven by Iraq/Afghanistan) in the Twilight timeline (in either of them).

As described in the write up, wartime procurement was a mix and match of US and Canadian weapons. I think all the real world M16s in UK service (not counting post-9/11 stuff like the 119s) were the original safe-semi-auto fire control group. Does anyone know if they were upgraded to keep them compatible with SS109 ammo when NATO switched over and how/who did the upgrades? Did they just slap A2 uppers on their existing lowers?
In my campaign the current heavily mod's weapons are far less common. As stated above Car15s are more common (but still unusual) for the SAS.

The M16s were the original trigger group. As far as I am aware the weapons were never upgraded as they were phased out at that time as the L85A1 was coming on stream. They just went into storage and new M16A2/C7s were bought for those who needed it.