View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Adrian Goldsworthy's How Rome Fell. Makes me fear for my own country. The parallels are numerous.
Las year I read The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization, by Bryan Ward-Perkins. And in spite for the obvious differences, there are numerous and interesting parallelisms with the Twilight post-war world.

Some examples are the fall of the serial production (developed in certain fields), the lost of value of the currency in use and its substitution by the barter practicing, the interruption of the communication lines...

The fall of commerce in a very interdependent and specialized market caused starvation (in some cases) and the incapacity to continue the production of certain, since the moment, granted as needed, day to day goods.

Local production emerged as the only way to keep communities alive and the incapacity of the system to provide enforcing powers forced the different communities to develop their own self-defense methods against raiding parties. All with the inevitable lost of precious and specialized knowledge.

Of course, there are important differences with the Twilight world, above all, "the rhythm of the fall". Anyway I extracted some interesting ideas for our Twilight sessions.