View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Wasn't there something in one of the books that basically said the writers decided to leave some nukes unaccounted for so that individual Referees could add a few more targets to the hit list if they wanted?
There is the note about listed strikes being over 500kt in both the BYB and Howling wilderness (not sure if it is in the challenge articles that both of these were based on).

My issue with that is that only around 8% of the USSR long range warheads were under 500kt. So I personally would only add an extra 10% or so of the US and Canadian Lists. Nato had way more sub 500KT warheads (due to greater accuracy), but the tit for tat nature of the strikes leads me to add a similar number to the USSR.

Note the above logic applies is strategic strikes only. West of the Urals you can also add tactical strikes as units from both sides were inside the Soviet Union when the exchange started.

Of course if you want to say the USSR had more smaller warheads that is cool, I just try to use real world data whenever I can.