View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbent4 View Post
R6,

I wasn't privy to those prior discussions but it makes sense.

Although, one thing to keep in mind is in the canon target list many governmental, military and civilian targets were spared because the warring nations (primarily USA and USSR) wanted to avoid sparking a general thermonuclear war. Mainly industrial and particularly power and fuel infrastructure was targeted. So maybe at least some of those "missing" targets were deliberately skipped.

Tony
Tony, you make a valid point there; that's partly the reason why I haven't made any major changes to the canon strikes*, as there are probably dozens of places that could have been hit in the UK but weren't, but as you rightly state an out and out attack was never the intention

There's also the possibility that some targets were meant to be hit but the missiles intended for them missed, and in the absence of satellites to carry out accurate damage assesment no follow up strikes took place.

* To be fair, I have made a handful of changes - I've "spared" Edinburgh and Birmingham, but added a sub 0.5 MT strike on Rosyth (which incinerated the town I grew up in!) and am considering adding a sub 0.5mt strike on RAF Greenham Common. Based on Ironside's post I'm also thinking about hitting Felixstowe / Harwich, I just need to give some thought as to how that would affect my plans for East Anglia...

If I follow through with all of those that's a net gain of 1 strike - I don't think I would want to go much further than that.

Cheers

Dave