Thread: Urban Farming
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM

I think what you would find after TDM here in the USA is a lot of small, family size gardens. One of the MAJOR issues, as I see it, is/was/will be the THANKSGIVING DAY Massacre.....

Think about the timing for a moment. Thanksgiving day is the fourth Thursday in November. If you are any where north of the Carolinas, you have a small problem with growing anything. It's called winter......

PLUS both v1 and v2.2 mention an extremely cold winter after TDM....

So even in the southern states, growing anything outside is going to be iffy at best.

May be, if you are REALLY LUCKY and skilled, you could rig a green house for some planting over the winter.

More realistic, you have to wait until spring. Then hope you have enough skills to manage a small garden. AND you have enough food to last until the crop matures. AND you can keep the bad guys out of your garden. Both the four legged and two legged varieties. (The squrells and rabbits end up in the soup pot!! That is why God invented the .22!! )

IF you manage all of this...then come summer, you finnally get to eat a good meal.

My wife is a wizard when it comes to growing things. IF I can keep her alive, then we have a chance. Me, I have the proverbial black thumb. I kill cactus.

I would think a crop of sweet potatoes (Grows very well here in NC) and soy beans (Ditto) would be the answer. May be a small herb garden for trading??

My $0.02

Mike