RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM

Default Proud Prophet? Was this the death knell of US planning for Limited Nuclear War?

Hey guys,
Just found out about this little CPX DoD ran at National Defense University in 1983. Around the same time of Able Archer...(what this says about the times is another issue)

Here is the heavily, and I mean heavily redacted AAR:
http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/specialC.../12-M-1487.pdf

And here is an article discussing the CPX in a modern context....
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...lear-war-12209

In short? Was Twilight 2000 as a concept even possible considering the results of the CPX?

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
Here is the heavily, and I mean heavily redacted AAR:
The next time there is a major document release remind me to invest in Sharpie Marker stock.

Thanks for the post. What parts I could read were interesting.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM

An interesting (if limited) read.
I know now (after getting some really close looks at Soviet vehicles and equipment) that the Russians were really optimistic about their own performance in battle. We were so far ahead of them by the early 90's that the contest would have been as "one sided" as the Gulf War was.

Where we had (and I believe still do have) a major problem was in Stockpiled Logistics. I remember the Army having to buy 2.75" free-flight rockets from the Air Force in the First Gulf War. They had shot up their entire stockpile in just a month.
When I joined the Artillery, we were shooting ammo made in the 1960's. By the time Restore Hope had rolled around, we were shooting new manufacture ammo. The Army had shot up a 30 Year stockpile of 6" howitzer shells in just a couple of years.
Think of the implications for a Twilight 2000 campaign. You may have a heavy weapon, but what about its ammo. I think Twilight's ammo availability ratings "overrate" how much ammo will be available after the nukes fall.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM

We're still only talking nukes, though. What about all the nightmarish concoctions that were coming out of the Soviet's Biopreparat program? Ken Alibekov in his book "Biohazard" details how the Soviets asked him what would be needed to arm ICBM's with biological warfare agents.

Though granted once the ICBM's start flying, all bets are off.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 02-13-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schone23666 View Post
We're still only talking nukes, though. What about all the nightmarish concoctions that were coming out of the Soviet's Biopreparat program? Ken Alibekov in his book "Biohazard" details how the Soviets asked him what would be needed to arm ICBM's with biological warfare agents.

Though granted once the ICBM's start flying, all bets are off.
A good way to "distract" a potential adversary would be to place nonweaponized viruses in their area of control in order to cause political and economic distress BEFORE you go on the offensive. It could cost north of $100K per patient for containment and treatment of something like the Plague. If the virus is not "weaponized," there would be no "fingerprint" to place blame.
A very effective (and evil) method of reducing your adversary's logistical base.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
The next time there is a major document release remind me to invest in Sharpie Marker stock.

Thanks for the post. What parts I could read were interesting.
And I thought the CIA torture report was heavily redacted...
Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
A good way to "distract" a potential adversary would be to place nonweaponized viruses in their area of control in order to cause political and economic distress BEFORE you go on the offensive. It could cost north of $100K per patient for containment and treatment of something like the Plague. If the virus is not "weaponized," there would be no "fingerprint" to place blame.
A very effective (and evil) method of reducing your adversary's logistical base.
What scares me is the very real possibility that someone out there may already have a similar plan already in place.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM

I am so glad I own stock in Sharpies!