RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default 3rd Infantry Regiment "The Old Guard" (moved from Archive)

Antenna 05-24-2004, 12:44 AM I have a feeling that someone has had this question or topic up before, but I go anyway. Why I raise this question is that one of my players want to belong to this unit. Been doing some research on the net and the round 7 comp + HQ comp large Rgt there is 4 Lt Inf companies that would suit for frontline duties or equivalent.

What about the Washington D.C. battalion in the T2k world what would happen with that unit. Would they be deployed or would they be almost anhilinated by nukes ?

I was doing some thinking that the 3rd Inf Rgt would muster around 50 to 120 men with support if they stayed in DC.

Whats your view ?

Antenna

pmulcahy 05-24-2004, 02:16 AM My guess is that they would be so much atoms...

As an aside, most regular infantry formations look upon the Old Guard with a mixture of awe and derision. It's amazing what they can do as a drill team, and they have enormous discipline and stamina to do what they do, as well as being emotionally very stable and hard in order to do their job. On the other hand, despite the fact that they are carried on the US Army rolls as an infantry regiment, they are not regarded as "real infantrymen" by the infantrymen of the Army at large.

The Old Guard is not always in Washington as one huge unit. They may be farmed out for various funerals and honor guards at various functions around the country; drill teams may be almost anywhere in the world; and they do, as much as we like to jeer about it, undergo regular infantry training in much the same manner as other infantry units. Thus your player may have been one of these troops that weren't actually in Washington at the time. However, I do think that he would probably be absorbed into another US Army formation once his parent unit was destroyed. Therefore, your player's character might be better off having some Old Guard experience, but not actually in the Old Guard at this time.

Abbott Shaull 05-24-2004, 07:50 AM I would have agree with Paul. If he was part of the 3rd when the DC area got hit there are to possibilities. One he no longer with us or if he was off somewhere else, then he would have been reassigned.

Abbott

shrike6 05-24-2004, 08:56 AM Can't really add much to what PAul and Abbott said except this one note:

IRL Company B, 3rd Infantry Regiment is currently deployed to Djibouti.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...y/3inf-rgt.htm

Soldiers from B Company, 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) deployed in support of the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa and the Global War on Terrorism in December 2003. This is the first time this Army ceremonial unit has deployed since the Vietnam War. While it may be best known as the guard of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, it is primarily a tactical unit, and orders to deploy in support of the war on terrorism are in keeping with The Old Guard's training, capability and tradition.

The Old Guard continues to take part in missions such as providing force protection for civil affairs personnel and engaging in joint operations with American and regional militaries.

Part of the unit departed base camp for a mission in rural, mountainous Djibouti only a few days after arriving in Djibouti.

The Old Guard Soldiers will be providing security to reservist engineers from the 916th Engineering Unit, based out of North Dakota, who will be drilling water wells for local citizens. In addition to this mission, the company has zeroed and fired on local ranges end engaged in training such as Marine-instructed egress and ingress helicopter drills on the airfield in Djibouti.

The Old Guard replaced a unit from the 10th Mountain Division, which spent several months working with the CJTF-HOA, and The Old Guard unit is scheduled to stay in Djibouti at least six months.

Team Battlehard trains aboard USS Wasp

http://www.mdw.army.mil/oldguard/stories/may21.htm

by Spc. Eric M. McKeeby

Old Guard Public Affairs

CAMP LEMONIER, Djibouti - On a Horn-of-Africa deployment packed with diverse missions, Soldiers from Bravo Company, 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) recently boarded a Navy vessel for combat training and tactical missions at sea.

Soldiers began boarding the USS Wasp in mid-April, transported to the landing helicopter dock-1 vessel from Camp Lemonier, Djibouti, via landing craft, air cushioned hovercrafts and Marine CH-53E helicopters.

The Old Guard deployed to the ship with Marines from HMH-461, an aviation unit also assigned to the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa. Their presence on the ship for the next several weeks is part of joint task force's continued efforts supporting Operation Enduring Freedom and the global war on terrorism.

While deployments to a Navy vessel may be common for Marine units, Sgt. 1st Class Fred L. Silhol IV, one of the leaders of the Old Guard unit on the Wasp, said this is the first time part of the Old Guard has been deployed to sea for tactical missions.

"I don't think any unit in the Old Guard has been on a mission on a ship," Silhol said. "The Old Guard mission is changing."

Silhol, a native of Westmont, N.J., said when the call came amid other infantry missions for Soldiers to board the Wasp and operate at sea, he began readying his Soldiers for the task. Training prior to embarking on the combat assault ship included water survival training and classes dealing with Navy tactical and social operations.

The Soldiers, Silhol said, have adapted well to the latest mission. They arrived in December, and have been in various operations in several nations in the region.

"It shows the flexibility of all Soldiers," Silhol said, "and that the chain of command feels the team can complete any mission that's thrown at them successfully."

Since arriving on the ship, Soldiers from the unit have participated in missions as part of the Expeditionary Strike Group 2, a multi-service sea based fighting unit.

"No matter where you are, you need to sharpen your skills, and a lot of things that we do, in my mind, require the sharpest skills," said Staff Sgt. David W. Jones, an Old Guard squad leader aboard the ship.

Jones, of Warwick, R.I., said the unit's training at sea has included rope repel training, advanced pistol instruction and firing and Suspended Insertion and Extraction exercises from Navy UH-60 helicopters.

"The war on terrorism is not conventional," Silhol said. "It's not a conventional battlefield. Leaders have to look at the way they are training their Soldiers and think outside of the box," Silhol said.

With more than 18 years of Army service, Silhol said he never expected to lead infantrymen at sea.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be here. But it really makes sense if you sit back and think about it," Silhol said.

"It lowers the threat level from a force protection standpoint. It's a great place to stage ops from because it's mobile and you have all the support systems already in place," Silhol added.

Silhol said the Soldiers are "earning their sea legs" in their adaptation to life aboard a ship, learning the details of living at sea.

One area of adjustment for Soldiers has been in the reduced size of living quarters.

Due to unit height requirements, most Old Guard Soldiers stand at more than six feet. The infantrymen aboard the Wasp have had to adapt to doorways and beds built, perhaps, with shorter troops in mind.

"It's tough to get used to the confined spaces and areas here on the ship, but Soldiers are doing well and learning Navy etiquette," Jones said.

Spc. Shawn Dye, of Columbus, Ohio, said Soldiers on the mission are enjoying working with Sailors and Marines.

"They are our brothers in arms. We are all fighting for the same team," Dye said.

Antenna 05-25-2004, 06:50 PM Thanx for the input Paul, Abbott and Shrike6

//Antenna

Old 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The discussion of Regiments in the "13th Armored Cavalry Regiment" thread reminded me of this thread.

Any new thoughts on what would have happened to the 3rd?

edit added wiki link

3rd_U.S._Infantry_Regiment_(The_Old_Guard)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:12 PM

My take would be that the DC-based elements, whatever could be collected, would become the core of whatever is guarding Milgov people and places around there. It's equally likely that Civgov was able to take control of the ceremonial units, along with whatever National Guard and Maryland or Virginia state militia is in that area.

I forget, where did Congress & Civgov convene?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM

If I remember correctly the Old Guards responsible for the Tombs in Arlington actually have there barracks beneath the tombs themselves. So its possible that a near nuclear strike on DC might wash over the barracks themselves leaving the personnel alive. Not sure about a blast in another direction, say if the Pentagon was hit. Its hilly terrain and I can't remember which parts have LOS on DC itself or the Pentagon.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
I forget, where did Congress & Civgov convene?
GreenBriar Hotel, Raven Rock, and Mt. Weather?