RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Default The memories...

I was cleaning out my basement this morning and ran across my box of the first edition of Twilight: 2000, along with 7 or 8 modules and additional guides.

I used to spend hours and hours daily rolling characters, designing scenarios, playing (too often by myself or with only one or two others). It was a great game and based on a fascinating "future" back during my youth in the Cold War.

But I put the game aside sometime during high school and, since then, the only time I've thought about T:2000 was when I bought a really bad computer version of it for my Commodore 64 or my 286.

So finding the game caused me to Google, which led me to this sight, which brought back lots and lots of memories of this part of my childhood...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Welcome aboard BROJD. I am glad you found us. Many people here no longer "play" but are still fascinated by the "what if" scenario all us children of the Cold War thought was a possibility. If you dig into what we have here I am sure you will find many interesting things.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks, kato. That's certainly part of my fascination with the game.

I'm also looking at my old copy of GDW's wargame "The Third World War." Children of the Cold War are certainly an aging breed. Heck, today's 18 year-old enlistees probably have few memories of a pre-9/11 world.

BTW -- My 19 month-old giggles and giggles at your avatar...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Third World War is also a common interest here. A few of our users (The DC working Group) are going to simulate the opening stages of the Twilight war using that game soon. I hope to make animated Google maps from the results.

I am glad that my avatar is entertaining, as it took me a while to build. On another board someone summed it up as "explosively nerdy" for combining "Kill Bill" (character Gogo Yubari) and Linux (Tux the penguin) and I felt that term summed up part of my personality perfectly.

I can't take credit for the graphics though as I lifted them from this http://www.linuxhotbox.com/fun/linux-wallpaper.23.htm
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 AM

Welcome to the Forum! Always nice to see new faces, so to speak.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 AM

Hi BROJD. Good to have you on board.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 AM

Hello and welcome. Plenty of nice people around.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard! A lot of us (myself included) have a similar history with T2K. Nostalgia led me to Google it a few years back and it brought me here (or to this board's direct predecessor) as well.

I'm teaching my high school U.S. history classes about the Cold War right now and, although it's very real to me, most of them just don't seem to be able to relate, even given the parallels to this decade's War on Terror. I guess this is yet further prood that I'm getting old and falling out of touch. I still think the Cold War was scarier than the WOT is, and when I was a kid, the Cold War was starting to wind down.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module

Last edited by Raellus; 05-03-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
Welcome aboard! A lot of us (myself included) have a similar history with T2K. Nostalgia led me to Google it a few years back and it brought me here (or to this board's direct predecessor) as well.

I'm teaching my high school U.S. history classes about the Cold War right now and, although it's very real to me, most of them just don't seem to be able to relate, even given the parallels to this decade's War on Terror. I guess this is yet further prood that I'm getting old and falling out of touch. I still think the Cold War was scarier than the WOT is, and when I was a kid, the Cold War was starting to wind down.
No during the Cold War we knew who had nukes and who probably had other nasty things that make one shiver. Now, we don't have a clue on who has what, since now a days, money talks and weapons walk.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull
No during the Cold War we knew who had nukes and who probably had other nasty things that make one shiver. Now, we don't have a clue on who has what, since now a days, money talks and weapons walk.
I guess both are scary but for different reasons.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I guess both are scary but for different reasons.
...but the scenario possibilities are endless he he....

Welcom aboard BROJD....btw:....there are still children of the cold war that play the game....our next session will start thursday 28th of may bringing us 3 days of RPG-mayhem...........
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Default welcome

to the boards .
the best T2k forums on the planet right here -as a daily user I am always happy when people join .

We still play the game as we did in our youth.And yes-I recognize what you say about spending hours on scenarios,characters etc .

I guess its funny how much of the game is imprinted on us during youth and how that turns out when adults .

For one , it sparked an interest in politics ,military matters and possible future outcomes .

later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROJD
I was cleaning out my basement this morning and ran across my box of the first edition of Twilight: 2000, along with 7 or 8 modules and additional guides.

I used to spend hours and hours daily rolling characters, designing scenarios, playing (too often by myself or with only one or two others). It was a great game and based on a fascinating "future" back during my youth in the Cold War.

But I put the game aside sometime during high school and, since then, the only time I've thought about T:2000 was when I bought a really bad computer version of it for my Commodore 64 or my 286.

So finding the game caused me to Google, which led me to this sight, which brought back lots and lots of memories of this part of my childhood...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 AM

Welcome aboard...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Good to have new people always showing up on the board! Welcome to the club, BROJD!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 AM

Bon dia!

Back to the forum again after a pair of weeks with too much work to fight against my Language (English) skill.

Mmmmm... It seems there are a lot of new posts to read. And this one will be as good as another. So, welcome BRODJ. It seems that you have reached this forum in the same way I did (thanks to Saint Google). I was just looking for info to help me to "keep the flame alive" between our Twilight sessions when I came upon this forum. A great find with a lot of nice people.