RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2009, 05:49 AM

Default Houserules combat summary

I'm writing up my entire houserule bastardized system into one cohesive book. This is the example of small arms combat using my system. Let me know what ya'll think. The system is percentile based, with the "ones" die giving a hit location-0-head, 1-right side chest, 2- left side chest, 3 abdomen, 4 right arm, 5- left arm, 6-right hand, 7-left hand, 8-right leg, 9- left leg. Combat turns are 2 second long, thus the lower ROF.

There were five of us together that escaped from that last attack at Kalisz. SSgt Sam Clark, Corporal Dennis Mitchell, and PFCs Juan Gonzalez, Freddy Washington, and myself, PFC William Sackett.

After two days of running and hiding, we needed food, water, and fuel for the HMMWV badly. I don't know what road we were on, I couldn't read the Polish road signs, but we spotted what looked like a trucking yard. You know, where a trucking company parks it's trucks when they're not on the road, and a garage to work on them, and a small office trailer.

SSgt Clark had Washington back the HMMWV into the gate in case we had to make a quick getaway, and Gonzo on the .50 spun it around to cover the yard. To the right of the gate was an empty guard shack and about 9 meters past that was where the office trailer was.

Washington parked next to the guard shack and all of us but Gonzo on the .50 got out and readied our weapons. I carried an M21 sniper rifle, a semiautomatic version of the old M14, but with a match grade barrel and the action smoothed somewhat. Washington had an M16 with an M203 grenade launcher slung under the barrel and Cpl Mitchell drew his 9mm Berretta. A pump shotgun was SSgt Clark's weapon of choice.

Clark sent Mitchell and Washington to watch the back of the garage, a huge metal building about 15 meters deep and close to 50 meters long. It had 5 big truck sized doors and a small person sized door on the side facing us. The five big truck doors were closed, as was the small person door, and a window was next to the walk in door. SSgt Clark took a quick peek in the window and turned to look at me. He whispered in my ear “Four men at a table. Take the door”. He turned back to the window and rammed the shotgun barrel through it and pulled the trigger. At the same time, I kicked the door, pistol in hand.
Clark has a Shotgun skill of 53, plus 10% for using buckshot, and another 10% for short range, so he needs to roll a 73 or less. A 13 is rolled, so his primary target takes a pellet in the chest. A d6 is rolled for damage and a 3 comes up. The target has 5 hits per area, so he's wounded but not dead. Clark is firing buckshot, so 8 more D6 are rolled. Any 1's , 2's and 3's will hit him also. Out of the 8 d6 rolled, four come up as a 1, 2, or 3. Two of the pellets hits the primary target in area 5, left arm, for 6 points of damage, and two more hit area 9, left leg, for 7 points of damage. The last one hits area 1, right chest, for a single point of damage, bringing that area's damage to 5, killing him. Four more pellets missed and each has a 2 in 6 chance of hitting the man sitting next to him. Out of the 4 d6 rolled, not a single 1 or 2 is rolled, so the rest of the shot misses. The shotgun has a ROF of 1, so Clark is finished for the turn.

I kicked the door and not only did it open, the upper hinge broke, so the door flapped down at an angle. Sackett rolls against his STR score to open the door, and rolls a 26. Four guys were sitting around a table, dropping cards and diving for thier weapons. One dude was on the floor bleeding from his chest, one arm and one leg. I leveled my .45 at a guy reaching for an AK-74 and let loose a round Sacket has a base 72% chance to hit, plus 10% for short range, so an 82% or less is needed. A 20 is rolled, indicating a hit in the head. A Colt M1911 has a Dam of 1-8, so a d8 is rolled and a 7 is rolled. The man has 4 hits per area, and 7 points of damage kills him instantly. I was dead on, and the man's head exploded in a shower of red and gray. I shifted to the next guy and fired again. Still short range, but this round has a minus 10% penalty for being the second round fired in a combat round, so it's back to 72%. A 17 is rolled, hitting the man in the left hand. A d8 is rolled for damage, and a 5 comes up. He also has 4 hits/area, so this disables his left hand

The GM rules the bad guys are surprised and won't be able to get thier weapons into action this round, so the round is over. To summarize, there's one bad guy dead from Clark's shotgun, one guy dead from Sackett's pistol, one wounded in the left hand and one not wounded at all.

Round two starts with an initiative roll. A d10 is rolled and 10% of each character's REF score is added to the roll. The GM decides the bad guy with the wounded hand will go last due to his wound. the other bad guy rolls a 6. He has average scores of 35, so adds 4 to get a 10. Clark rolls and ends up with a modified score of 12, and Sackett gets a modified score of 11. Clark will act first, then Sacket, then the unwounded bad guy, then the wounded bad guy.

The guy with the shot hand was fumbling with his AK trying to bring it to bear and the other guy had his AK in hand wand was trying to bring it to bear on me when SSgt Clark's shotgun boomed again. Clark still needs a 73 or less and rolls a 53, hitting the guy in the stomach for 4 points. Eight d6 are rolled for the rest of the pellets, with a roll of 3 or less needed to hit. Four of the d6 come up 3 or under. Two more of the pellets hit the abdomen for a total of 12 points damage to area 3, one pellet hits the right hand for 3 points of damage, and the last pellet hits the left leg for 5 points of damage.

Clark's shotgun blew a huge hole in his target's stomach and he flew backwards. I shot again at the guy trying to work his AK one handed. My first round grazed his left leg and my second round missed. Sackett rolled a 09 to hit for the first round and a 77 for the second. He needed an 82 to hit for the first round and a 72 for the second. A d8 for damage was rolled and a 3 came up. The bad guy has 4 hits per area, so he's still in the fight.

In return the man held out his AK one handed and sprayed automatic fire at me. The bad guy has a to hit score of 60, modified by +10 for range, but with a penalty of -20 for shooting a two handed weapon with one hand, for a total to hit score of 50. A 48 is rolled so the first round from the AK-74 hits Sackett in the right leg. An AK-74 does 1d6 damage and a 6 is rolled for damage. Sackett has 5 hits per area, so his right leg is useless. The AK has a ROF of 2/5, meaning two bursts of 5 rounds can be fired. The first round of the first burst hit, and the man is firing his full burst so four d6 are rolled with a 1-3 needed to hit. The rolls come up 1, 1, 3, 4, so Sackett is hit three more times. A d10 is rolled for location and each hit does 1d6 damage. The first two rounds hit him in the right leg again, doing 5 points of damage each. The first round hits and brings the total damage to 11, more than twice it's damage potential, so it breaks a bone. The second round does five more points of damage, bringing the total to 16 points, more than three times the damage able to take, so the leg is shot off. The last round of the burst hits his right arm for 3 points of damage.

The guy fired two bursts at Sackett, and a 40 is needed for the second burst. Base chance of 60, +10 for short range, -20 for firing with one hand and another -10 for the second shot of the turn. A 09 is rolled, hitting Sackett in the left leg for 1 point of damage. Four d6 are rolled to see if the rest of the burst hits. All four d6 hit, one in the right arm, one in the left leg and two in the head. He takes two more points of damage in the right arm for a total of 6 there, six more points in his leg for a total of 22 points. He's wearing a kevlar helmet so there's a 50% chance of each of the two head shots will hit the helmet before hitting him. An 84 is rolled for the first head shot, and 4 is rolled for damage, so he takes full damage. A 02 is rolled for the second round, indicating it hit the helmet. Damage is rolled and a 1 comes up. This is less than the helmet's Armor Absortion Points of 4, so it does no additional damage to Sackett.

Round two is over, leaving a badly wounded Sackett on the floor and a wounded but still fighting bandit inside the room, with Clark firing into the room from a window.

Initiative is rolled and Clark gets a 10 and the bandit gets an 11. The bandit fires first. A 50 or less is needed to hit and a 52 is rolled. A 40 or less is needed for the second burst and a 68 comes up. Bullets spray all around Clark, but all miss. Clark has a base of 53, +10 for short range, +10 for using buckshot. A 16 comes up, hitting the bandit in the right hand, and 6 points of damage is rolled. Eight d6 are rolled with two head hits for 8 points of damage total, a left arm hit for four points damage and a left leg hit for 2 points of damage. the bandit has 4 hits per area, so the head shots kill him.

At the end of the fight we have four dead bandits, PFC Sackett bleeding profusely from wounds to the head, right arm and a shot off right leg, and SSgt Clark holding a smoking shotgun with four rounds in the magazine.

(edit kato13 added carriage returns)

Last edited by kato13; 08-02-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:37 AM

I think that's one HUGE block of text to try to read