RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 04:10 AM

Default Twilight 2000 - Basic roleplaying util

As i mentioned in my first post in another thread, there has been some work done to create a amalgamation of Twilight 2000 and the Basic roleplaying rules system. This has all gone into the creation of a Gamemaster utility for windows, that manages battles (The perfect little thing to have on a GM laptop). You can of course use it for T2k, T2k13, or Merc2000 or any other modern setting;

It can now be downloaded at https://sourceforge.net/projects/brputil/
Note; As it is written in C#, you will need the latest .net framework, it can be downloaded from Microsoft
We will add source code and documentation soon, but we wanted to get a binary up asap for testing.

* More than 200 weapons this far
* Advanced damage (Based on Richard Leducs modern combat system)
* Easy creation of new weapons
* Easy creation of templates
* Manages the whole combat, takes cover and armor into account, manages bleeding and unconsciousness.
* Keeps track of initiative
* Functions for aiming, unaimed shots, specific aiming at hit locations, volley fire, automatic fire, and suppressive fire.
*Advanced hit locations
*Capability to save and load combats.

There are more features, but those are the ones that spring to mind, more are planned.

This will be released as open source. What we need help with later on is more variants of armor and fleshing out the weapons list (Especially the explosives part, when explosive damage is done). We also need help with testing and reporting bugs.

I will keep you posted about the progress.

Last edited by Lerk; 12-06-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added information
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM

This sounds like exactly what I need. I await your updates.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:52 AM

And it's up!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 AM

If anyone encounters bugs or anomalies, please let us get them so they can be fixed. Either in this thread or in the project bugtracker on sourceforge.

The only unresolved bug i've encountered this far is an unhandled exception error when removing a weapon, adding another without selecting a new active weapon.

Here's a test run of one attack; One american soldier fires a M16A3 at two polish soldiers:

American Soldier #1, rolls 21 (Success)
Result Success
Polish Soldier #1 hit in GI Tract (Abdm) and takes 1 (1) damage. (Protected by armor)
Polish Soldier #1 succeded with a POW check. No Suppression
-------------------------
American Soldier #1, rolls 50 (Success)
Result Success
Polish Soldier #2 hit in Left Forearm (LArm) and takes 5 (4+1) damage.Polish Soldier #2 takes a major injury to the Left Forearm (LArm). Polish Soldier #2 is bleeding 1HP per round.
Polish Soldier #2 has failed a POW check and is pinned by enemy fire (-25 to hit)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Volunteer Timeline Errata Coord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerk View Post
And it's up!
Lerk,

Many thanks! When I get the chance I'd be glad to give it a workout.

Tony
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Since there isn't any manual as of yet (work in progress), i'll gladly answer any questions as to how it works. I forgot to mention that we have a somewhat customized initiative system. BRP-util rolls init for all npcs, you can set characters to manual on the combat screen, this is for players that want to roll initiative themselves (And i guess most players like rolling dices now and then).

There are several actions that can put you later in the action no matter if you got a good init roll (dex+d10). Changing weapons asks if you want to deduct init, reloading deducts init, as does aiming. You can also voluntarily have characters wait to a lower init, if they for example wants to assess the situation or something like that.

Characters that are unconscious or dying will be set to a negative init and moved to the bottom of the list of characters. Characters that have spent all their initiative also moves to the bottom.

If you have time and feel like it, do test some crazy stuff. I haven't really done much out of the ordinary (4-5 soldiers vs 4-5 soldiers).
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM

And now the sourcecode is up, for anyone to browse thru, modify or use for whatever. GPLv3 License.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Features being implemented at the moment; importing/exporting of weapons and templates.

We're still trying to figure out how to do explosives in a rational manner. It's not entirely uncomplicated how to design a wizard or attack screen that can manage both throwing distance and distance from explosion.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 AM

Import/export features are now implemented. It's now possible to create a template (Polish soldier, ORMO soldier) or a weapon type and export it to share it with someone else or bring it along on a usb stick to import on another computer.

Are there any features you would feel are important for the tool?