RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Talking What's YOUR favorite scary campaign?

Well, the world typically is scary enough as is. But it is that time of season, the month of Halloween. October, the beginning of Autumn, my personal favorite time of year.

My question to you all is, have any of you played Twilight or any other type of military or quasi-military themed game with a supernatural or horror angle, at least in a campaign or two? I recall Jason ran a tweaked version of the Black Madonna module one time with some freakier elements added. But what about the rest of you? Ran anything freakier in your campaigns, or maybe even something from the Twilight Nightmares module perhaps?
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered Kraut

Well, not Twilight.

A buddy of mine is a very big fan of all Lovecraftian things. We played a Call of Cthulhu adventure, in which the members of the group were SEALs with combat experience in A'stan. The group (that is the players) consisted more or less out of the same people as my T2k group. It was allways funny, when the players adressed each other with the wrong name. It was espacially weired, because one of the characters in the T2k group had the same nickname as one of the CoC characters. But it was not the same player. It was a little tricky from time to time.

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Not directly, but. . .

Though not Twilight 2000, it is scary (and really really funny).

Some friends of mine ran a Vampire game back in the '90s set in Baltimore. One of them had the brilliant idea of using a flamethrower as a personal weapon. In VTM, vampires need to make heavy saving throws when in the presence of open flames (like flamethrowers) or go into a blind screaming panic.

This player decided to take his toy to the Baltimore waterfront to take out some bad (badder) guys. First time he fired a burst, he flunked his saving throw epicly and proceded to run screaming along the waterfront, with the flamethrower strapped to his back, incinerating everything as he went. The GM must have been particularly merciful, or laughing too hard, let let this PC die. . .
Old 10-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Had a sub-HoG that tried it on us, and we told him in no uncertain terms IF we wanted to play with monsters we'd play D&D.. he got the hint when we packed out bags and headed for the door. FB
Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM

I did run something similar. The PCs holed up in a village that had ben suffering some nasty marauder attacks and the villagers prevail upon the PCs to deal with them.

The Marauders where holed up in an underground bunker system and it turns out they had turned to cannibalism to sustain themselves. The PCs where put through a rather horrific series of encounters (victims strung up, still alive, with limbs missing and suchlike) before finaly clearing out the cannibals. They rescued who they could and gave a merciful end to who they could not.

The thing that freaked them out the most was when they found the nursery, a half dozen kids ranging from 10 to 4 who where cowering in a corner with a woman desperately trying to protect them. The afternoon meal bubbling in the stewpot. One of the PCs (a Ukrainian spetznaz soldier) went loopy with an RPK at that point.

What made the whole thing scary was not that there where any supernatural monsters, but that the bad guys where Human beings no different from the PCs except for a different moral (and culinary) system.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 AM

I've played an Aliens type game using the Aliens version of Phoenix Command - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Command

I also ran a WOD horror game at a convention that was set in Kosovo where the PCs were a mix of UN Peacekeepers and journalists who were present when an ancient vampire came out of torpor.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

I've been known to include UFO's in my campaigns in the past and I do have one reoccuring character in all of my campaigns and games, the mysterious character named "Malanthius." I took a page from Star Trek where they had a character named "Flint" that was nearly immortal, he was born in Mesopotamia in 3834 BC, he was a "bully that refused to die." He later became a few famous people in history like Leonardo DaVinci and some others. Malanthius is bit different, he is one (maybe of a few) surviving Atlantians who was born around 9600 BC and they fled Atlantis when it was destroyed. Basically, he holes up and just observe history in several bunkers he made in North America (and maybe the world). He sometimes "interferes" in certain events throughout history, usually unknown to the participants. In Twilight and Morrow Project campaigns, he is known to be a bit depressed at seeing civilization ending a second (or third if you consider the fall of Rome) time in his lifetime. If the collapse occurs after the year 2000, one of his favorite shows in CBS's "Survivor." If I'm running a Morrow Project campaign, I think it would be possible if he was assisting Bruce Morrow in his plans.

Malanthius is a name I took from a man who calls (called) local Pittsburgh talkshows and claim to be an alien.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM

A few neat ideas here guys, thanks!

As gruesome as it sounds, I like the one involving the cannibalistic marauders, I can easily see that and can't imagine the effects it would have on the player's characters after seeing that.

And that one WOD game set in the Balkans with the peacekeepers and the ancient vampire coming out of torpor sounds good, that might give me an idea or two there...
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake
Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
The Stat Guy

I've talked here before about the time I sent a T2K PC group through the Giants modules from D&D. The players got their creeps, but kicked ass through the first module and part of the second -- then they got scared, when their ammo ran out...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM

ooooo, that's just NASTY!

I LIKE IT!!!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-12-2011, 02:00 AM

I always thought it would be a cool idea to have the characters run into Connor MacLeod and the Kurgan from the film "Highlander".