RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 PM

Default Bring TW2000 into the present

With what is going on in the world today , has anyone thought about bringing TW2000 in to the year 2016 . You have Russia seizing the Crimea, fighting a proxy war in eastern Ukraine . Aiding Syria against the Free Syrian Army . ISIS running around Iraq. The former Warsaw Pact countries are now free but Russia still threatens them with war . Russia has been building up its army over the past few years so an attack on the West could happen . And let us not forget China and what is going on the the South China Sea area. There is a lot of ideas that are out there . Most of the equipment has not changed much since TW2000 was first released, (a few changes for equipment) , add new military units from former Warsaw Pact countries and there you go .
Old 02-19-2016, 10:46 PM

My thoughts tend to range around how much more fragile society is today compared to the mid 80's when the game was written and the late 90's when the nuclear exchange takes place as opposed to the how it actually starts.

America doesn't manufacture much of our own critical infrastructure needs any more. In the 80's there were still some factories around. Even here in the SF Bay Area there were some local farms. Now not only are most of those factories and farms gone the population has grown to a point where there is no way you can feed people without modern petroleum based agriculture.

Throw in a population that has no living memory of doing things with out electricity, computers, internet, oil, etc the outcome is doubtful.

Heck even the number of libraries or bookstores with information is markedly reduced.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Oddly enough, I had an idea about a 2016 game set 16 years after the original setting when society is beginning to rebuild itself, but still has a way to go... but that's not the same thing.

Going to this scenario, the survivalists would have a lot of fun... and might well charge for their expertise.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Rainbow 6 and I worked up a backstory for a Twilight 2030 campaign, starting with real world events in late 2014. It's crazy how much of what we speculated in our future "history" has already come to pass.

If you want a flashpoint for a war in Europe, look to the Baltics. That's where we started it (albeit in 2025 or so). Quite recently, the Rand foundation lately concluded that the Russians could overrun the Baltic States in three days.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/02/03/...-lose-quickly/

We didn't anticipate the rising tensions between Turkey and Russia but we did foresee a proxy war between Iran and Saudi Arabia in the Levant- that Russia would be getting involved directly in the Syrian Civil War was quite a surprise.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 02-20-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Be away from Richmond for a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParkJawa View Post
My thoughts tend to range around how much more fragile society is today compared to the mid 80's when the game was written and the late 90's when the nuclear exchange takes place as opposed to the how it actually starts.

America doesn't manufacture much of our own critical infrastructure needs any more. In the 80's there were still some factories around. Even here in the SF Bay Area there were some local farms. Now not only are most of those factories and farms gone the population has grown to a point where there is no way you can feed people without modern petroleum based agriculture.

Throw in a population that has no living memory of doing things with out electricity, computers, internet, oil, etc the outcome is doubtful.

Heck even the number of libraries or bookstores with information is markedly reduced.
but really "Farms In Berkley"
It would take a really long post and be a bit boring to others to list the changes in the north east bay.
I hunted Dove in the fields were Standard Oil had the storage tanks.
laugh made a muzzle loading rifle in School shop and a long hunters knife.
Now a kid gets expelled for drawing a picture of a gun.
I live in western Colorado now and we have a good balance of manufacturing and farm industry very good infrastructure and a lot of water and Old farts like me yet around that know how to make do.
so It really makes a difference where yer at today I think it always has.
My Two cents
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Rainbow 6 and I worked up a backstory for a Twilight 2030 campaign, starting with real world events in late 2014. It's crazy how much of what we speculated in our future "history" has already come to pass.
You can add another thing to the list of events that we predicted becoming reality - David Cameron announced the date today for the UK's In / Out Referendum in regards to the EU.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
You can add another thing to the list of events that we predicted becoming reality - David Cameron announced the date today for the UK's In / Out Referendum in regards to the EU.
And don't forget there is also a possibility that Donald Trump could become US President as he his now the Republican front runner. Mexico, the Muslims, Russia and China watch out!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:48 AM

Well, that's what I tried to do with Road to Armageddon. ... the main campaign (2 x ~200 page books written, one about 90% complete) is set in West Africa (and Central), but the Introductory Adventure (the one Stretch Goal that was reached) is ~195 pages and about 10 pages from semi-completion (NPCs, Table of Contents, Index will still need to be done) ... and hopefully there will be one or more set in the Med and Balkans ... maybe the East Coast of the US on the way (or the Caribbean).

Phil
Old 02-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. Ox View Post
It would take a really long post and be a bit boring to others to list the changes in the north east bay.
I made toy guns out of LEGO when I was a kid...
Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
And don't forget there is also a possibility that Donald Trump could become US President as he his now the Republican front runner. Mexico, the Muslims, Russia and China watch out!
President Trump...too horrifying to contemplate!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 AM

Default I WAS a republican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
President Trump...too horrifying to contemplate!
I have no idea what I can be any more...Can't get behind the Demo Lady.
And Can not vote for a man with a Brain disorder.
ER leg breaker can I come to the land of OZ????
Old 02-22-2016, 02:46 AM

Yeah, why not. I'm sure I can make room in the shed between the giant spiders and vicious snakes for you.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-23-2016, 01:45 AM

Default Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Yeah, why not. I'm sure I can make room in the shed between the giant spiders and vicious snakes for you.
They don't call me snake eater fer nutten....
but keep the damn spider to yerself.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Registered Registrant

Hey LT, you know you can always try the west coast of Oz.
I'm sure Targan or me can find you a place between some comfy sand dunes away from the spiders and far enough off the beach to avoid the sharks and crocodiles.

Hope you don't mind the heat though, we regularly get 100+ Fahrenheit during summer (and as high as 122F at times) and the further north you go the more humid it gets... aww hell, we could send you to the top end of Western Australia or Queensland, there's enough tropical vegetation there that it'd be like being back in Vietnam... except this time it's only the wildlife trying to kill you...
Old 02-27-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. Ox View Post
I live in western Colorado now and we have a good balance of manufacturing and farm industry very good infrastructure and a lot of water and Old farts like me yet around that know how to make do.
so It really makes a difference where yer at today I think it always has.
My Two cents
Not sure what you mean by "Farms in Berkley". Is that a reference? Berkeley has been built out since at least the 1950's. I was recently visiting friends in Antioch. Lots of new homes out that way. If you've been gone for a while you might be shocked at how much growth there has been.

When I was a kid (70s/80s) my friends dad hunted ducks in the salt ponds of Union City. I had a teacher whose dad hunted pheasant in the 1940s around San Carlos.