RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2014, 01:01 PM

Default A few questions for our Aussie members

I had read about the recent, well, as in a few years ago anyway, purchase of a number of M1 tanks from the U.S. I know Paul had it mentioned on his site, though I can't recall the exact number or what variant they were (I can't access his site at work. Hey Paul, you're getting famous! ).

These were supposed to be refurbished models with new equipment in addition to the same type of armor found on American models. I'm told the ones that were exported to Egypt don't have the armor inserts, among other things.

Anyway, any feedback from the Australian Army on the new hardware? Also, I had read that the Australian military was offering commissions to American officers to serve in their branches and help provide experience. I suspect they have a somewhat similiar offer for enlisted as well. Anyone familiar with this?

Just fyi, I worked several years with Raytheon (one of the major U.S. defense contractors) on an OTHR (Over the Horizon Radar) system. I remember we would get regular visits each year from several Australian military advisors who had a somewhat similiar system, albeit a little smaller that they used to monitor airspace outside the continent, though I suspect I know who they were keeping a close eye on.
"The use of force is always an answer to problems. Whether or not it's a satisfactory answer depends on a number of things, not least the personality of the person making the determination. Force isn't an attractive answer, though. I would not be true to myself or to the people I served with in 1970 if I did not make that realization clear."
— David Drake

Last edited by Schone23666; 02-28-2014 at 01:12 PM.