RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Apache, I like your IC vignettes illustrating the reaction to the lacquered steel ammo and field rations. I think it would be really cool to compile a bunch of similar anectdotes into comprehensive "In Their Own Words" account of the later years of the Twilight War. It seems like a project that would lend itself to an anthology format, with contributions from multiple authors.

One can buy steel-cased cartridges in a few calibers. I've seen it in 7.62x39mm at my local hunting/sporting goods store. I've read that it's pretty hard on weapons' internal working components so I won't try it. The lacquer bit is creative. I can see what you described as being a short-lived experiment, not a systemic replacement of traditional brass casing production. As you described, the proof is in the pudding. As Olefin pointed out, policing up spent brass and reloading it becomes a military cottage industry as the war drags on.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Apache, I like your IC vignettes illustrating the reaction to the lacquered steel ammo and field rations. I think it would be really cool to compile a bunch of similar anectdotes into comprehensive "In Their Own Words" account of the later years of the Twilight War. It seems like a project that would lend itself to an anthology format, with contributions from multiple authors.

One can buy steel-cased cartridges in a few calibers. I've seen it in 7.62x39mm at my local hunting/sporting goods store. I've read that it's pretty hard on weapons' internal working components so I won't try it. The lacquer bit is creative. I can see what you described as being a short-lived experiment, not a systemic replacement of traditional brass casing production. As you described, the proof is in the pudding. As Olefin pointed out, policing up spent brass and reloading it becomes a military cottage industry as the war drags on.
Brass cartridges for reloading purposes was practically the same as cash in our campaign - one of our biggest scores was ambushing a small convoy that had in it a truck loaded down with spent cartridges and shell casings - we got a very good deal for them in Krakow
Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

The soviets didn't use brass at all for their small arms rounds, correct?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
The soviets didn't use brass at all for their small arms rounds, correct?
Soviet 7.62×39mm cartridge originally used a bimetallic steel and copper case and in the early 60's it transitioned to a lacquered steel case

They made a ton of ammo and you had to figure by late in the war they were issuing stuff that may have been in storage for a long time - so the answer is most likely it was lacquered steel but if its old ammo it could have steel and copper
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 PM

I Highly doubt that lacquered cases would ever make it onto a modern battlefield. Heat resistant lacquer would be in short supply while an old substitute (wax) would not. The Soviets have shown that painted steel cases can work very handily in modern actions. Stock AR-15's can use the Wolf brand steel cased ammo without a problem. Lacquered cases were used during WW2; but modern powder and lacquer DON'T mix. A hot wax seal around the bullet crimp would work just as well for sealing out water (rust would be a "non-issue" in the cottage industry reloading plant, they simply wouldn't care) and could be used to seal plastic shotgun shell hulls. The brass cases from fired ammo are pretty hardy and even a "green" brass case can be polished very quickly in a case tumbler. Most rounds can be reloaded between 10 and 12 times providing they weren't loaded to +P pressures (which will reduce case life). Even the harshly "dinged" cases from an H&K "enhanced blowback" roller locking action (MP5, G3, HK33/41, MG3) can usually be salvaged by running them through a 2 piece (inside and outside) resizing die. I would roll a 1d10 for 6 or less for successful resizing of crimped cases.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Great stuff! I'm stealing this for my upcoming campaign. A couple of thoughts:

1. I loved the addition of soup. One of the things that I think the Army does well is soup. I think this, along with stew, would have been a staple of the 5th ID.

2. Any thoughts on eggs? Another thing the Army does well (look at the line omlette bar at any DFAC). Now, I'm not thinking there's going to be such a thing on at the field kitchen as 5th ID is jumping off on it's raid, BUT, chickens and eggs are fairly easy to keep and eggs are a great source of protein. Now, chickens are succeptible to disease if kept together in large numbers or come in contact with certain migratory waterfowl (which have probably already been shot by locals for food), but to me some type of arrangement such as "protection and tractor maintenance in exchange for some of your eggs" would be a pretty sweet deal for a German or Polish farmer.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post

1. I loved the addition of soup. One of the things that I think the Army does well is soup. I think this, along with stew, would have been a staple of the 5th ID.

2. Any thoughts on eggs? Another thing the Army does well (look at the line omlette bar at any DFAC). Now, I'm not thinking there's going to be such a thing on at the field kitchen as 5th ID is jumping off on it's raid, BUT, chickens and eggs are fairly easy to keep and eggs are a great source of protein. Now, chickens are succeptible to disease if kept together in large numbers or come in contact with certain migratory waterfowl (which have probably already been shot by locals for food), but to me some type of arrangement such as "protection and tractor maintenance in exchange for some of your eggs" would be a pretty sweet deal for a German or Polish farmer.
It wouldn't surprise me to see all manner of "livestock" being driven along (as in a cattle drive, NOT in a truck) with the logistics tail. The US Army was forced to open a school for handling pack mules during the most recent deployments. The mules were just the best solution for certain units in Afghanistan. I'm guessing the US (and NATO) would "hire" a bunch of "Civilian Contractors" to handle such livestock in Twilight.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post

Forgetting ducks, turkeys, and geese. Each provides meat, eggs, feathers (down coats), and are higher in fats than most chicken breeds. Rabbits in hutches provide meat and furs for winter clothes. Goats provide meat, fat, milk, and hides. Goats can also two small trailers or pack loads of 20 to 40 lbs. Each also does well on natural forage and doesn't need grains though those would improve final weight. Hogs and Boars don't provide anything except waste disposal until slaughter then it lard, meat, and very tough hide for high wear leather purposes.

The feed requirements for cows, horses, mules, and oxen would be to great a burden for a mobile unit. Only a unit in cantonment could pasture them or stock that much hay and grains..... which would count against ethanol production.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I Highly doubt that lacquered cases would ever make it onto a modern battlefield. Heat resistant lacquer would be in short supply while an old substitute (wax) would not. The Soviets have shown that painted steel cases can work very handily in modern actions. Stock AR-15's can use the Wolf brand steel cased ammo without a problem. Lacquered cases were used during WW2; but modern powder and lacquer DON'T mix. A hot wax seal around the bullet crimp would work just as well for sealing out water (rust would be a "non-issue" in the cottage industry reloading plant, they simply wouldn't care) and could be used to seal plastic shotgun shell hulls. The brass cases from fired ammo are pretty hardy and even a "green" brass case can be polished very quickly in a case tumbler. Most rounds can be reloaded between 10 and 12 times providing they weren't loaded to +P pressures (which will reduce case life). Even the harshly "dinged" cases from an H&K "enhanced blowback" roller locking action (MP5, G3, HK33/41, MG3) can usually be salvaged by running them through a 2 piece (inside and outside) resizing die. I would roll a 1d10 for 6 or less for successful resizing of crimped cases.
In the 1950's the U.S. made and issued steel cased .30 carbine, .30-06 M2 and .45ACP. There are Berdan primer punches that one must turn the case until the punch meets the holes, but water and a dowel rod can do the same job. Berdan reloading primers are made and a Boxer conversion DIY video is online for inspiration.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
In the 1950's the U.S. made and issued steel cased .30 carbine, .30-06 M2 and .45ACP. There are Berdan primer punches that one must turn the case until the punch meets the holes, but water and a dowel rod can do the same job. Berdan reloading primers are made and a Boxer conversion DIY video is online for inspiration.
I have and do still reload steel cased and Berdan primed cases. What I was referring to in my post is the fact that the chemicals in modern lacquer will leech into modern "ECO-FRIENDLY" smokeless powder and "kill" said powder. The same is true for most lubrication and also any carb cleaner you might use to clean your weapon with. Using lacquer in any cottage industry reloader would contaminate the inside of the case when you resized it and cause major ignition reliability issues. That's why I said that most small operations would simply forego the lacquer and just punch out "raw" mild steel casings. They could "rattle can" paint them afterwards but I don't see anyone wasting the time to do this on cheap ammo. The better cases (salvaged brass) would be saved for "higher paying customers" or the local authority.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:44 PM

These articles are wonderful. If you could write more, they would be much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Internet Intellectual

The fluted actions of the German G3 wouldn't even blink at steel ammunition. The brass isn't reloadable, but extraction isn't a problem.