RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
And how much of that fuel is going to be left after several years or warfare and two fronts on the north American continent? Not like it's being replenished is it?
Fuel for Strategic Air Command units would be kept at close to maximum as possible as they have priority, no matter what is happening in other theaters.

Any other base would get fuel base on the duties they preform, and how much they had on hand at time of nuclear strikes would depend on

1. When was the fuel delivery and;
2. How much was delivered

So it’s a crap shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
However the fuel to fly them and parts to keep them flying will be the problem. Pre-nuclear war stocks will dwindle between November 1997 and 2000, and we don't know if MilGov or CivGov is operating any refineries or has reactivated any factories to supply parts.
The Major US Aviation Depots are:

Naval Aviation Depot North Island
Naval Aviation Depot Pensacola – Closed in 1993
Naval Aviation Depot Norfolk – Closed 1993
Naval Aviation Depot Cherry Point
Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex, AFB Tinker
Warner Robins Air Logistics Complex, AFB Warner Robins
Ogden Air Logistics Complex, AFB Hill
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group, Tucson, Arizona

However I think you’re going to see major cannibalization of aircraft parts. Since you have only a few aircraft flying you have a fair bit of airframes to pick from, I made a concept of salvage teams who recovery parts and weapons. I thinking since you have extra techs those that are not working on aircraft are going scavenging for parts and fuel or security duty somewhere

For fuel as stated above if unit are using an existing airbase you have fuel on hand which can be rationed, I also think you see fuel scavenging/recovery teams going around to airbases, airports ect.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Fuel for Strategic Air Command units would be kept at close to maximum as possible as they have priority, no matter what is happening in other theaters.

Any other base would get fuel base on the duties they preform, and how much they had on hand at time of nuclear strikes would depend on

1. When was the fuel delivery and;
2. How much was delivered

So it’s a crap shoot

However I think you’re going to see major cannibalization of aircraft parts. Since you have only a few aircraft flying you have a fair bit of airframes to pick from, I made a concept of salvage teams who recovery parts and weapons. I thinking since you have extra techs those that are not working on aircraft are going scavenging for parts and fuel or security duty somewhere

For fuel as stated above if unit are using an existing airbase you have fuel on hand which can be rationed, I also think you see fuel scavenging/recovery teams going around to airbases, airports ect.
I completely agree with you about cannibalization being done to keep planes flying - using parts not only from military planes but also civilian ones as needed - that's current practice in Africa right now in real life - you see countries that officially have 12 jet fighters but what they really have is ten hangar queens and 2 that work with parts from all the others

Iran did that to keep their F-14's, F-4's and F-5's flying after our embargo as well - and its common wartime practice - that's how the US kept a small force of P-40's going in Bataan almost right up to the end and in the Aleutians, where spare parts were basically impossible to find, they used other planes as spare parts all the time - it would be common practice for them to get five new planes, give three to the squadrons and keep two for parts
Old 05-17-2016, 01:46 PM
The Stat Guy

Would Fracking be taking place in T2K?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

This is from Wikipedia but shows clearly that fracking has been in use since the 50's in the US - so it would be happening in T2000 as well and they would have the tech for doing it well in place

Massive fracturing[edit]

Massive hydraulic fracturing (also known as high-volume hydraulic fracturing) is a technique first applied by Pan American Petroleum in Stephens County, Oklahoma, USA in 1968. The definition of massive hydraulic fracturing varies, but generally refers to treatments injecting over 150 short tons, or approximately 300,000 pounds (136 metric tonnes), of proppant.[29]

American geologists gradually became aware that there were huge volumes of gas-saturated sandstones with permeability too low (generally less than 0.1 millidarcy) to recover the gas economically.[29] Starting in 1973, massive hydraulic fracturing was used in thousands of gas wells in the San Juan Basin, Denver Basin,[30] the Piceance Basin,[31] and the Green River Basin, and in other hard rock formations of the western US. Other tight sandstone wells in the US made economically viable by massive hydraulic fracturing were in the Clinton-Medina Sandstone, and Cotton Valley Sandstone.[29]

Massive hydraulic fracturing quickly spread in the late 1970s to western Canada, Rotliegend and Carboniferous gas-bearing sandstones in Germany, Netherlands (onshore and offshore gas fields), and the United Kingdom in the North Sea.[28]

Horizontal oil or gas wells were unusual until the late 1980s. Then, operators in Texas began completing thousands of oil wells by drilling horizontally in the Austin Chalk, and giving massive slickwater hydraulic fracturing treatments to the wellbores. Horizontal wells proved much more effective than vertical wells in producing oil from tight chalk;[32] sedimentary beds are usually nearly horizontal, so horizontal wells have much larger contact areas with the target formation.[33]

Shales[edit]

Hydraulic fracturing of shales goes back at least to 1965, when some operators in the Big Sandy gas field of eastern Kentucky and southern West Virginia started hydraulically fracturing the Ohio Shale and Cleveland Shale, using relatively small fracs. The frac jobs generally increased production, especially from lower-yielding wells.[34]

In 1976, the United States government started the Eastern Gas Shales Project, which included numerous public-private hydraulic fracturing demonstration projects.[35] During the same period, the Gas Research Institute, a gas industry research consortium, received approval for research and funding from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.[36]

In 1997, taking the slickwater fracturing technique used in East Texas by Union Pacific Resources (now part of Anadarko Petroleum Corporation), Mitchell Energy (now part of Devon Energy), applied the technique in the Barnett Shale of north Texas.[33] This made gas extraction widely economical in the Barnett Shale, and was later applied to other shales.[37][38][39] George P. Mitchell has been called the "father of fracking" because of his role in applying it in shales.[40] The first horizontal well in the Barnett Shale was drilled in 1991, but was not widely done in the Barnett until it was demonstrated that gas could be economically extracted from vertical wells in the Barnett.[33]
Old 05-17-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post

That list needs to include the following:
- Sacramento Air Logistics Center - McClellan AFB, CA [1995 BRAC List]
- San Antonio Air Logistics Center - Kelly AFB, TX [1995 BRAC List]
- Naval Aviation Depot Alameda - NAS Alameda, CA [1993 BRAC List]
- Naval Aviation Depot Jacksonville - NAS Jacksonville, FL

For added measure, the Corpus Christi Army Depot is the Army's rotary-wing depot and is co-located with NAS Corpus Christi, TX.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

I would assume if you go with the original timeline where the Cold War never stopped that all the closed bases are very much alive

Whereas if you go with the V2 timeline the base closures may have occurred but probably not as many (i.e. its still not the Soviets collapse totally as per our timeline) so it would be up to each GM what bases are still around
Old 05-17-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
I would assume if you go with the original timeline where the Cold War never stopped that all the closed bases are very much alive

Whereas if you go with the V2 timeline the base closures may have occurred but probably not as many (i.e. its still not the Soviets collapse totally as per our timeline) so it would be up to each GM what bases are still around
Quite true. Even then, being on a BRAC List is not the same thing as actually being closed. It typically took several years for the actual closure to occur.

Naval Aviation Depot Pensacola and Naval Aviation Depot Norfolk didn't actually close in 1993, they were just on the 1993 BRAC List.

Having said that, anything on the 1988 BRAC List probably still closed in both V1 and V2 timelines.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1978 View Post
Quite true. Even then, being on a BRAC List is not the same thing as actually being closed. It typically took several years for the actual closure to occur.

Naval Aviation Depot Pensacola and Naval Aviation Depot Norfolk didn't actually close in 1993, they were just on the 1993 BRAC List.

Having said that, anything on the 1988 BRAC List probably still closed in both V1 and V2 timelines.
Yup agree with that for sure - if they closed it with the Cold War still in full swing they would have closed it in either timeline for sure

Tags
polls