RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Internet Intellectual

How does it work out for cartridges that start out as subsonic? .45, .300, .458 SOCOM, black powder muzzle loaders; for example.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
How does it work out for cartridges that start out as subsonic? .45, .300, .458 SOCOM, black powder muzzle loaders; for example.

Without running additional ballistic plots, I would assume it runs like the 9x19mm, where the EFactor would drop off by 1 for every 2 multiples of effective range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 06:18 AM

To "simplify" this, I started to provide range charts to the players for each of their weapons used.

I use a program called Ballistics Explorer v6.50 (an online site to use is http://www.shooterscalculator.com/).

Since we know the muzzle velocity of each weapon, I just find a cartridge that is approximate to the issued ammunition in the DB and plot a chart out to 1000 m for rifles/LMG, 1500 m for MMG, 2000 m for HMG and 200 m for pistols/SMG's at 50 m intervals.

They look similar to your Excel charts you show. I give distance, velocity, energy, time of flight and e-factor.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
To "simplify" this, I started to provide range charts to the players for each of their weapons used.

I use a program called Ballistics Explorer v6.50 (an online site to use is http://www.shooterscalculator.com/).

Since we know the muzzle velocity of each weapon, I just find a cartridge that is approximate to the issued ammunition in the DB and plot a chart out to 1000 m for rifles/LMG, 1500 m for MMG, 2000 m for HMG and 200 m for pistols/SMG's at 50 m intervals.

They look similar to your Excel charts you show. I give distance, velocity, energy, time of flight and e-factor.
I considered this approach, like I did for whole body damage from explosives, but thought a separate chart for each weapon may not be as desirable as an algorithm.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Internet Intellectual

What do you think of positive or negative to hit modifiers for range?

Bullet rise and the bullet drop haven't been incorporated into anyone's tables to my knowledge.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
What do you think of positive or negative to hit modifiers for range?

Bullet rise and the bullet drop haven't been incorporated into anyone's tables to my knowledge.
So something different than the current range modifiers. Not sure how to tie that to ballistics plots.