RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Question Cantonments in T2k

Hi everyone,

I have some questions that i've been trying to figure out for a while about Cantonments. Does anyone have a basic outline of what is found in cantonments or even how the cantonments would be 'officially' and 'unofficially' referred to by the militaries that have had to establish them?

I know most have roughly developed civilian Shantytowns or tent cities that have been built in their 'shadow' in hopes of getting protection form roving marauders and the like...

As for names of cantonments... I was thinking of using this as an example of an American Cantonment in Europe. Does anyone have a better template to use?

US Army Base Camp Purgatory (US Army Europe, UNITED STATES EUROPEAN COMMAND)

Also... what is the smallest independent military unit that in your opinions would establish Cantonments? My thought would be Battalions since they are the smallest self-sufficient military unit of command...

I had thought of Military Cantonments actually being a series of complexes spread out over an area of operations for a Division, broken into spheres of responsibility based upon Brigade, then down to the Battalion levels.

Has anyone else given any serious thoughts to this?

(Sorry for the random nature of this post, i'll try and clean it up when i'm able... my brain is acting so werid right now. i'm really sorry about this.)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM
bigehauser

I never really understood fully what that term meant when I first starting getting into T2K, but I would say that a military cantonment may look something similar to a firebase of Vietnam, or a FOB of today.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehauser
I never really understood fully what that term meant when I first starting getting into T2K, but I would say that a military cantonment may look something similar to a firebase of Vietnam, or a FOB of today.
That's what i was thinking as well... I just don't know what kinds of things you'd find in Firebases or FOBs of today. or how they are named...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 PM

A cantonment would cover a much larger area than an FOB or a firebase. But it would probably have a strictly military area within it or next to it which would much like an FOB or firebase.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM

There's an example of one in either Twilight Encounters, or Special Operations. I'll see if I can find it in a few hours and post it for all to see.

It's just a small one though, maybe a hundred or so military plus probably three times or more civilians outside the wire.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:52 PM

My group during our T2k campaign spent alot of time at their cantonment between the major adventures, and these mini-campaigns dealt with the extensive redevelopment and reconstruction of the surrounding the civilian communities as part of their 'heart and minds' policies. as soon as i find the notes i'll post them.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 AM

While I agree that the core military area would be small, the area controlled by a catonment would have to be fairly large. One of the key reasons for the catonment system was to allow the military unit access to local food supplies and growing areas. The military would need to excercise control over a large enough area of farms to feed both themselves and the civilians working the farms.

I have always pictured a central military compound which was heavily dug in, walled, sandbagged, fields of fire cleared, etc. containing the essentials:
Base housing
Motorpool
Repair facilities
Armory and ammo storage
Food storage areas
Artillery positions
Mess area
Field hospital to the extent there was one
Command post
Animal pens / horse stables
Small parade ground
Some sort of recreation facility
This could be a village that was taken over and converted or something constructed in a relatively open area.

There would likely be either a civilian village or shantytown nearby providing local services not provided internally (simple handcrafts and "leisure activities", whatever that means to you, being the ones that come to mind).

From this base the unit would need to exert effective control over an area at least several miles around. The goal is to provide enough security to the remaining population that they could produce enough food to supply themselves and the military unit. This means preventing marauder raids, other military units moving into the area and local uprisings. Most basically you have a system of taxation in exchange for security. This can be mutually amenable or just a protection racket depending on the situation.

I expect that the unit would have roving patrols in the area and on roads potentially combined with smaller garrisons at key points. This depends on the size of the unit and the territory, but posting platoon sized units in key population centers and infrastructure adds additional security and provides for faster reaction to problems that crop up.

Depending on the friendliness of the situation, I would expect that local ORMOs or militia would also play a role. Modestly trained locals could provide rudimentary security, act as a sort of police force and attempt to hold marauders until a reaction force arrived. These could be largely independent or have assigned trainers/monitors from the catonment unit.

That's the wasy I've always seen it anyway. Of course local conditions will vary widely depending on any number of factors.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Would they need to have a civilian shantytown nearby? I wonder if they couldn't just move into an existing town/village and fortify that. The civilians there would be moved out (peaceably, I should hope) or allowed to live inside.

Using an existing town means the unit dosen't have to create infrastructure from scratch (water, power, etc.), and can concentrate on using buildings that already exist for quarters. And, ruins can be salvaged for repairs. What's left of the road & bridge network can be used, too.

Worst case, towns are already usually located where the water is-- streams, etc. No need to go get it.

I wonder if towns that were once castles and border forts would get preference? Those would already be in dominating terrain.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

If you have access to Free City of Krakow, look at the Krakow ORMO/8th Polish MRD position as they are located through out the City. Look at old Middle Ages Castles, old western forts, and firebases they would all be used in combination to control the Cantonment.

The Battalion-size would be hard press to hold. I thinking Brigade/Regimental size would be smallest unit that would have independent Cantonments.

The Cantonment would have one centralize base where most of the support units would work out of such as supply, maintenance, and such, could be set up like old military fort or Castle, except minus the surrounding walls. Many of these personnel would provide the 'Infantry' support for this base.

Then surrounding the 'Base' would be the smaller unit positions. If it was Divisional Cantonment, the Brigades would have smaller version of the one occupied by the Divisional HQ/Support units.

Then spread out from these the Battalions/Squadrons would set various firebase to control the country-side. Their may be one Company size firebase for a 'local reaction force'. The rest of the Companies would have Company HQ, Platoon HQ, and Squad level check points they are responsibility for. Rotate the Company that is reactionary force.

Just some thoughts.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
There's an example of one in either Twilight Encounters, or Special Operations. I'll see if I can find it in a few hours and post it for all to see.
And here it is....

MAP DESCRIPTION

Although a military cantonment area covers miles of outlying fields, dwellings, and guard posts, a central encampment constitutes the administrative hub of the organization. The map shows atypical central encampment with its associated civilian quarters.

A. Administration Building: This is the main headquarters building of the unit. It has a large central reception area with five or six desks for clerks and a telephone switchboard. The interior of the building is subdivided into a number of offices and conference rooms, as well as a suite of rooms dedicated to radio transmitters and receivers, decoding machines, and a radio direction finder.

B. Barracks: Each barracks is the home for 20 to 30 soldiers. Soldiers are quartered by unit, with several private rooms occupied by senior NCOs, and two or three large rooms with bunks for the privates. Officers are housed separately. Each barracks building will have 15 to 20 men asleep late at night. Seldom will more than three or four (roll 1D6) off-duty men be present at other times. Individual units are housed as follows:

BO: Officers' quarters.

B1: 1st Infantry Company.

B2: 2nd Infantry Company.

B3: 3rd Infantry Company.

B4: 4th (Weapons) Infantry Company.

B5: Vehicle crews (part).

B6: Artillery gunners.

B7: Medical personnel and remaining vehicle crews.

C. Motor Pool: All of the unit's remaining armoured vehicles are parked here, with many of the motor transports as well. Four or five vehicles will usually be in the maintenance shed undergoing repair. Ten driver/mechanics work here most of the time during the day, along with 10 civilian labourers. Two armed guards always stand at the gate, with one in the maintenance shed and one more walking the fence. The fence is two layers of chain link with barbed wire on the top. The area between the two fences is mined, with a mine density of 0.5 per grid square.

D. Grain Silo: This is a large grain silo with a corrugated metal shed attached. It is always partially full of bulk grain waiting to be ground at the flour mill. The metal shed houses a mechanical conveyor belt used to move the grain to and from trucks. Seldom is anyone working near the grain silo except when active loading is taking place.

E. Barns: The cantonment has two barns the larger one houses about 40 horses, although many of these are usually in the connected pen. The smaller barn has 20 dairy cows. Two civilian workers are usually in each barn during the day. There is a 50-percent chance (roll 1-3 on 1 D6) of an officer being in the barn caring for his own riding horse.

F. Fields: The edges of several outlying fields are visible on the map. These are usually covered with stubble in the fall and winter, and are only plowed immediately prior to planting. Standing crops cover them in the late spring, summer, and early fall. Crews usually work in the fields during the day during plowing and harvest, and teams of boys and girls are often used to weed the fields while the crops are ripening.

G. Livestock Pens: The livestock pens and their small attached shed house various numbers of sheep, pigs, and poultry. One civilian worker usually tends or works nearby each pen during the day.

H. Hospital: This is a small hospital with two wards, an operating theatre, and an attached clinic for treating the civilian personnel who live in and near the encampment. Six to eight medical personnel are usually on duty during the day and two at night.

I. Ammo Bunkers: Each of these concrete bunkers is sunk into the ground so that the roof is only one or two feet above ground level. The earth has been excavated away from their front, and the front of each bunker has been further reinforced with sandbags. Each bunker holds a selection of small arms, small arms ammunition, mortar and artillery rounds, grenades, and bulk explosives. No one is ever on duty in the actual bunkers.

J. Mess Hall: This is a large central cafeteria with an adjoining kitchen facility, plus a separate room for the officers' mess and a small private dining room. Eight kitchen personnel are usually on duty here during the day and an armed guard at night.

K. Slaughter House: This is a large facility used to slaughter cattle and dress meat. A large cattle pen and small refrigeration plant are attached. Six civilians work here during the day, and an armed guard is present at night.

L. Flour Mill: The grain grown by the community is ground to flour here. Bagged flour is stored in an attached shed. Six civilians work here during the day, and an armed guard is present here at night.

M. Large Still: This is a large, fixed still (as described in the basic game) used to make fuel spirits out of cellulose waste from the flour mill and the wheat fields. The alcohol distilled here is pumped into the storage tanks at site N described below.

N. Fuel Depot: The four large raised alcohol tanks here each hold 500 gallons of alcohol. Gravity feed hoses with vise clamps are attached to the bottom of the tanks and are used to fuel vehicles. Two civilians work here during the day.

O. Generator: The corrugated metal shed houses a large, alcohol-fuelled generator that supplies the entire compound with electricity. At least one civilian worker is always on duty here maintaining the generator.

P. Fuel Truck Hardstand: This is a large, square depression, with the north side gradually sloped to form an entry/exit ramp. The floor of the depression is covered with pierced steel plating.

Q. Laundry: Several large, open fires are used to heat water for the laundry. The laundry proper is staffed by 12 civilian women during the day.

R. "The Kremlin": This is a two-story, irregularly shaped, leaning building of remarkable architecture and design. It is built of corrugated metal, logs, timber, bricks, and anything else the owners could scrounge up. It is amazing that it manages to stay standing at all. During the day it is quiet, with the owners and staff asleep upstairs. At night the bottom floor is a low-ceilinged, smoke filled, noisy tavern that caters to the Soviet servicemen. There is some live entertainment, and the upstairs rooms are used to consummate sudden romances which develop between the patrons and staff.

S. Shantytown: This section of the cantonment is where the civilian workers, their families, and the various camp followers live. It is a confusing maze of cramped alleyways lined with tin and tar paper shacks. The inhabitants scratch out a living on the bare edge of survival, beset by poverty, crime, and disease.

T. Towers: Guard towers are spaced at intervals along the perimeter security fence. About half the towers have armed guards at any given time.

U. Gate: Each gate, including the one between Shantytown and the main camp, is guarded at all times by an armed soldier.

Soviet Garrison: The guards on duty at any given time are provided by one company of infantry. The other troops will be training or off duty during the day, in barracks or shantytown during the evening, and asleep in barracks after midnight.

HQ SECTION
· Two Veteran NPC officers with Makarovs.
· Eight Experienced NPCs with AKMs.

VEHICLE CREWS
· 10 Experienced NPCs with AKMs.
· 20 Experienced NPCs with Makarovs.
Vehicles include one T-90, one BMP-3, one BTR-70, one BRDM-3, 10 five-ton trucks, six three-quarter-ton trucks, and four UAZ-469s.

ARTILLERY
Howitzer Battery
· 10 Experienced NPCs with AKMs and one D-30 howitzer.

Mortar Battery
· 10 Experienced NPCs with AKMs and one 120mm mortar.

MEDICAL
· 10 Experienced NPCs with Makarovs.

INFANTRY
· 1st Company, 1st Section
Eight Veteran NPCs with AK-74s.
One Veteran NPC with an RPK-74.
One Veteran NPC with an RPG-16 and a Makarov.

· 1st Company, 2nd Section

· 2nd Company, 1st Section

· 2nd Company, 2nd Section

· 3rd Company, 1st Section
Eight Experienced NPCs with AK-74s.
One Experienced NPC with an RPK-74.
One Experienced NPC with an RPG-16 and a Makarov.

· 3rd Company, 2nd Section
Eight Experienced NPCs with AK-74s.
One Experienced NPC with an RPK-74.
One Experienced NPC with an RPG-16 and a Makarov.

· 4th Company, 1st Section
Two Experienced NPCs with PK machineguns.
Three Experienced NPCs with AKMs.

· 4th Company, 2nd Section
Two Experienced NPCs with PK machineguns.

· 4th Company, 3rd Section
Two Experienced NPCs with AGS-17

· 4th Company, 4th Section
Two Experienced NPCs with AT-4s.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Looks good.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

In order to determine what a cantonment would look like, it's helpful to start with why cantonments exist in the first place.

In a nutshell, canon implies that cantonments were developed due to:

1. Low troop concentrations. Due to a variety of factors (attrition, lack of replacements), late in the Twilight War, a continuous front could no longer be maintained.

2. Need for units to produce their own food. As modern industry and transportation systems broke down, whole divisions found themselves needing to grow their own food (and fuel).

3. Distance and available motor transportation. In the modern world, with helicopters and STOL capable transport aircraft, a division or RCT can "cover" hundreds of square miles. It's still pretty incredible how much territory a division is asked to control in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. In the Twilight world, with few aircraft serviceable/available, and fewer trucks, this area would be shrunk down to a couple dozen square miles.

So, in order to become relatively self sufficient from a supply standpoint and for defensive purposes, cantonments were developed.

The "look" of the cantonment would also depend on unit size.

A divisional cantonment would be based around a large town or small city. The divisional HQ, along with its various attached support units, would be based in the central settlement. The division's component regiments would then take up positions in surrounding towns and villages. The division's artillery would be established in "firebases" (discussed elsewhere) which would be distributed in a couple of key locations so as to cover the area of the entire cantonment (or as much of it as possible) with defensive fires.

I would imagine that the whatever combat AFVs the division possesses would be maintained centrally to act a mobile counterattacking force or to be concentrated for raids on enemy cantonments. It wouldn't make much sense to disperse the AFVs around the cantonment's perimeter. Defensively, AFVs are used to defend against the enemy's AFVs. The division's infantry formations would have their own AT weaponry so they could hold off an attack until the mobile reserves could arrive.

Rifle companies would rotate between garrison duty in the cantonment's various settlements and firebases and performing patrols and such.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
My group during our T2k campaign spent alot of time at their cantonment between the major adventures, and these mini-campaigns dealt with the extensive redevelopment and reconstruction of the surrounding the civilian communities as part of their 'heart and minds' policies. as soon as i find the notes i'll post them.
Yes that what a lot of units would do. I see almost every Division and higher HQ having a unit of 36-90 men who would be out on patrols like this. Much like the Special Forces or SAS. Who would go out in 6 to 12 man patrols, on these patrols they would talk to the locals and if they found a need would pass it up their chain of command to help them.

Such as if a building needing repair or something that a engineering unit can help, they would show up to help.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM

One of our mini-adventures had the PCs dealing with the construction of a series of clinics that where seen as being something similar to 'battalion aide stations' throughout the area that the division was assigned. Each of these clinics where manned by a combat field medic supervisor (SGT or SSG), combat field medic specialists (actual medics with the rank of SPC or SGT) and combat field medic technicians (the technicians where combat lifesavers with the rank of PFC). these clinics where then overseen by a team of medical officers (doctors, nurses and physician assistants)...
Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I forgot to make mention of the civilians. The local civies would play an important role in the cantonment system. They would help in the planting and harvesting of crops, brewing of fuel, washing and mending of uniforms, reloading of spent brass (where the appropriate machinary and military grade are available), building of defensive works, etc.

In exchange, the occupying military would provide protection and law enforcement, medical care, training for the local militia, technical and engineering support, etc.

This exchange of labor/service for military protection is very much like the feudal system of the early Middle Ages. I like to call it neo-feudalism.

This is all in theory. Civil affairs and psyops would become crucial to winning the locals' "hearts and minds". If occupying troops behave badly or fail to reciprocate the effort and service of the local civilians, things could get ugly.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 05-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
I forgot to make mention of the civilians. The local civies would play an important role in the cantonment system. They would help in the planting and harvesting of crops, brewing of fuel, washing and mending of uniforms, reloading of spent brass (where the appropriate machinary and military grade are available), building of defensive works, etc.

In exchange, the occupying military would provide protection and law enforcement, medical care, training for the local militia, technical and engineering support, etc.

This exchange of labor/service for military protection is very much like the feudal system of the early Middle Ages. I like to call it neo-feudalism.

This is all in theory. Civil affairs and psyops would become crucial to winning the locals' "hearts and minds". If occupying troops behave badly or fail to reciprocate the effort and service of the local civilians, things could get ugly.
I can see Civil Affairs and Psyops personnel assigned all the way down to the Battalion Level in such a setting. While they might not be a large section (possibly about 12 men and women if that large), they would end up becoming very important in the 'hearts and minds' aspect of the Cantonment system.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
I can see Civil Affairs and Psyops personnel assigned all the way down to the Battalion Level in such a setting. While they might not be a large section (possibly about 12 men and women if that large), they would end up becoming very important in the 'hearts and minds' aspect of the Cantonment system.
Well I chose 90 men, so as to have multiple patrols on rotations. Some would be back in training, and they would run their own school that would train new members. Also you would mobile team, that would be used to take patrols out to areas for patrols.

Also there would be Long Range Recon Patrol/Ranger Company assigned into patrols. Again on paper their were still Companies assigned to the Light Infantry/Airborne/Air Assault, but they were National Guard/Reserve units. Many combat arms units sent their people regularly to Ranger Training, for leadership training. This unit would also run their own school too.

These two units serve very distinct purposes. The one unit would be Heart and Minds unit, while the other unit would be hush-hush unit that moves about without others knowing. Or you could combined them both.

Some options.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull
Well I chose 90 men, so as to have multiple patrols on rotations. Some would be back in training, and they would run their own school that would train new members. Also you would mobile team, that would be used to take patrols out to areas for patrols.

Also there would be Long Range Recon Patrol/Ranger Company assigned into patrols. Again on paper their were still Companies assigned to the Light Infantry/Airborne/Air Assault, but they were National Guard/Reserve units. Many combat arms units sent their people regularly to Ranger Training, for leadership training. This unit would also run their own school too.

These two units serve very distinct purposes. The one unit would be Heart and Minds unit, while the other unit would be hush-hush unit that moves about without others knowing. Or you could combined them both.

Some options.
I had thought of the Civil Affairs and Psyops as being a small team dedicated to working with the local populance in keeping them 'on our side' by propaganda (Psyops) or overseeing the 'hearts and minds' reconstruction (civil affairs) projects. I haven't been able to get my friend who works PsyOps to help with with coming up with the Civil Affairs/PsyOps section for the Battalion level... so I'll see what he can tel me.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Also in many of the Cantonments, you would have what is left of the local militia, that would supplement the units forces too.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM

Default hey!

I like to call it neo feudalism too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus

Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
I think a lot of people would describe it as neo feudalism because that is what it is.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
I think this is what the creators of Twilight:2000 were leaning to in many aspects of the game. In their European setting you seen in a few places, in the Howling Wilderness you seen too, I wish they had done some modules for Korea, Japan and China. You would see feudalism big time in China to fill the void.

Just some thought
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Brigade cantonment should be quite large. In my games cantonment is basicly an area where larger military unit would provide security for food and other products. Platoon for village or company for county. About 3/4 of troops should be in security or reconstruction duty. Rest of the unit (with IFV and APC) should act as an "firebrigade" and also provide security for unit warehouses and other facilities.

In preindustrial Russia (1700-1800) military units usually didn't had any barracks. For infantry regiment they needed cantonment with 22 000 inhabitans. Cavalry regiment required 60 000 "souls" to support it!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

How big were these Regiments?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull
How big were these Regiments?
1200 men or 1200 dragoons in cavalry.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Seems like a lot of people to support a Regiment.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 PM

This is about 20:1 for the infantry regement. That means that 5% of a household's output was going to the unit. Probably fair to call it 5-10% as the soldiers were living better than the average russian. This sounds pretty reasonable for peacetime. I would be offended if this were a special assessment or a cossack showed up to use my spare bedroom, but it's in the ballpark of what I pay as a US citizen to support the military today. In the T2K world where there is a much higher premium on security I could see people willing to pay a much higher percentage. 1:10 might be a better ratio there, but beyond that you just can't support it. There is only so much surplus food production possible without modern fertilizer and petrol.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM

A Cantonment is defined as "a temporary or semi-permanent military quarters. The word cantonment is derived from the French word canton meaning corner or district. In Southern Asia, the term cantonment also describes permanent military stations. Cantonments can be found in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Ghana and Sri Lanka. In United States military parlance, a cantonment is an essentially permanent residential (i.e. barracks) section of a fort or other such military installation. See, for example Fort Hood."

Now obviously given the broadest use of the term it can mean any quarters taken up by the military for more than a short period - so winter quarters would be an obvious usage. But essentially any unit (of whatever size) that set up home in a village would be in cantonment - at least that is how read it.

The campaign I ran when at school led to my group (a mixed bunch of REMFs who had escaped Kalicsz in an ambulance and a Humvee) evicting the Soviet marauders from Niepolimice and then settling down there. They took over a couple of empty properties and renovated them (which required some scavenging trips), planted food (more scavenging and trading for seed and livestock), trained the local militia, established links with the outlying farms and nearby villages and helped the villagers establish craft industries. The principle strategy was similar to the one ISAF is attempting to apply in Afghanistan - provide security and employment so local people are confident enough to settle in the villages, once the area around the village is secure then expand the process to the next village like an inkblot spreading on the page. They didn't run the village but needed to co-operate with the locals to achieve what they wanted.

I saw the Krakow ORMO as simply the same thing writ large - in my campaign the players co-operated with the Krakow ORMO by providing a network of villages and farms linked by radio net - these reported what strangers they saw to each other and co-operated with one another to deal with threats. The area between the villages became more secure as a result, which encouraged people to move back, which made the area more secure in a kind of virtuous circle. Essentially they provided security to to the area East of Krakow for the ORMO relieving some of the pressure caused by the refugees on Krakow. My team also traded with the ORMO by producing large quantites of fodder beet for use by the draft animals in Krakow in return for a large still (the large still allowed greater efficiency in producing fuel, which in turn allowed some more processing of food). Each improvement in safety and quality of life in turn led to a small increase in the population of Niepolimice, which led to more recruits for the militia, and hence slightly improved security.

It was good fun.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Littlearmies, that sounds like a very interesting campaign you had going there...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Agreed. I like local reconstruction campaigns where not all of the focus is on combat. Unfortunately, in my PbP experience, other players start dropping out once the shooting stops for too long.