RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM

Default questions on game mechanics

It has been a long time since I put my $0.02 into this forum. Life has been exciting to say the least.

I had some time the other night to pull out my copy of T2000, 2nd edition.

So to re-learn the rules, I started to build a PC. no problems. Everything was straight forward as I remembered the rules.

THEN:

I got to equipment. I picked a 2 1/2 ton truck. And then the math geek inside of me started to squeal.

Per the rules, your vehicle has ONE (1) tank of either ethanol or methanol. I decided on methanol. Per the scenario notes for escape from Kalisz, the German 3rd Army and the American 11 Corps had just finished spring planting. I surmised that food stocks would be low and could not be used for ethanol.

According to the fuel consumption tables, methanol it 3.5 times less efficient than gas or diesel. According to the specs for the 2 1/2, it caries 195 liters of fuel. If I am reading the movement rules correctly, your truck will use 227.5 km of fuel in four hours. SO in about 3 hours YOU ARE OUTOF GAS!!!

You will have gotten approx. 135 km. down the road.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.

My $0.02
Mike
Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Yes, that would be about right.
The whole idea was to prevent PCs simply driving across Europe in a day or so, and forcing them to interact with the local environment.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Keep in mind by the way that the numbers that the game used for methanol and ethanol are not correct - i.e. you actually get a lot more energy out of them than the game mechanics had - and they didnt figure state that you could blend ethanol and gas a la what we have in modern gas stations

but again that would mean changing the game mechanics from the established numbers

assume you are looking at starting your campaign in central Poland and not Iran or the US by the way (that may change the availability of ethanol and definitely of gas or diesel)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:47 AM

Your math is correct, per the rules. From Kalisz, you're gonna have to refuel somehow, even if there were no enemies.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Banned

especially considering there is no direct path to any friendlies - i.e. they are to the north and there are a lot of Russians between you and any path north to the Marines or any other friendly units - actually given that amount of fuel and distance can you make it to the Cav unit that went south a la The Black Madonna module?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Keep in mind by the way that the numbers that the game used for methanol and ethanol are not correct...
A conscious choice made by the developers I believe, just like the reduced radiation half life, and accelerated healing times in 2.0/2.2, or the three round "shots" of 1st ed.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-14-2018, 09:01 PM

The fastest way out I have found so far is either horse or bicycle