RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 06-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Default Fort Knox Gold

Anybody know the status of Fort Knox (the gold repository, not the base) after a 150 years? If it was targeted by a nuke would it survive? Would the gold have value as a trade commodity or would the Krell or the Rich Five want to trade or lay claim to it?
Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
Anybody know the status of Fort Knox (the gold repository, not the base) after a 150 years? If it was targeted by a nuke would it survive? Would the gold have value as a trade commodity or would the Krell or the Rich Five want to trade or lay claim to it?
I would think the Rich Five have the means and the motivation to have mounted an expedition to have recovered the gold.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM

I think the Federal Reserve moved the gold to thier facilities, then sold the same pallet to six countries. The move was mentioned in the dust up over where is Germany's gold.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 AM

What I was thinking was that between having what Gold may be in there the facility itself might make for an interesting encounter. If it wasn't nuked or destroyed it would make an interesting landmark or possible base of operations. It could be a Breeders hangout, a Rich Five outpost, a abandoned structure in the woods. With no known floorplan it would be easy to make one up and use it in a game. It is known it has its own water supply and generator and bunkhouse and armory and even a loading dock where vehicles could be parked so it would make a desirable location for many to set up camp inside of.

If abandoned, the Gold could be traded away or just stacked outside or inside to act as additional protection for the walls because in the end its just a shiny metal. But the building itself would make for an interesting encounter.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I near miss might make the site unapproachable for years, if the main vault survives many would be unable to open unless they had an artillery cannon. So many might stop check it out and keep on trucking

Maybe a cult worships the gold inside?

What about the Federal Reserve Bunker located inside Mount Pony in Culpeper, Virginia as another idea?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 AM

The Vault would be unusable but there is more to the building then just the vault. I doubt they open the vault door anytime they need to access the armory or the shooting range! And from what I saw in a show once the second floor is all living quarters. It might make an interesting spot for an encounter no matter the time frame or who is occupying it or not.

Mount Pony would be another good spot to look at, be especially interesting if a Recon Team found it with the doors open and its abandoned or even more if they find it with the doors closed and still sealed after a 150 years. The contents of gold are a bonus, but the real prizes would be the facility's themselves especially for a few Morrow Teams to use and operate out of. Living out of a vehicle can get tiring fast.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Internet Intellectual

The Warriors of Krell also have the manpower and resources to claim the Gold Depository.

What is Krell funding his army with after 150 years?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM

Well money is pretty much devalued into being used for toilet paper and coinage to me is only good for being drilled out and used for washers and gold is pretty worthless without some trade unless you like pretty baubles for the women to wear so I would guess Krell pays his troops on food and loot and equipment. He might have some gold stocked away but its value is pretty worthless in comparison to other resource's.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
Well money is pretty much devalued into being used for toilet paper and coinage to me is only good for being drilled out and used for washers and gold is pretty worthless without some trade unless you like pretty baubles for the women to wear so I would guess Krell pays his troops on food and loot and equipment. He might have some gold stocked away but its value is pretty worthless in comparison to other resource's.
I agree paper money is worthless. Coinage is valuable to B tech levels and above for the nickel and chrome content enough to be taken in trade as do copper pennies.

Precious metals are still going to have value as currency. Now it isn't going to be $1600 and ounce; more akin to the $10 gold piece. That would still be going a long way at current values 150 years after the war.

Currency even quarters, nickels, and dimes may be in use locally. A penny for an apple, a beer is a nickel, a shot of whiskey a dime.