RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Default OT - Country Living

Ok so I have been thinking alot about this with the serious economic issues in the US. I have been thinking about becoming more independent.

I am sure alot of this sites members live in more rural areas and maybe even have experience in this style of living.

How does a person living on a homestead in the middle of the woods someplace make money? Money is still needed for things I would assume no? Selling agricultural products?

Seems like buying a 100 acre lot in Kentucky or something and trying to live more independent off the "grid", would require me to be rich to start with. I just cant see it....

Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2009, 03:24 PM
[Armchair Commando]

Send a message via MSN to Snake Eyes Send a message via Yahoo to Snake Eyes

Grow marijuana.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM

I think it's up to you and you have to make your own choice knowing what you can do.

You can raise bees and make honey. If you have mapple trees you can exploit them. You can carve things out of wood. You can simply exploit the woods and sell part of it. You can do as I do and help people writing. What do people need? What is available to you? What do you want(need)? What can you do?

Just a question of choice. What you need first is to figure out how much money you have to make.

What I'm saying might not help but I think the possibilities are almost unlimited.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Eyes
Grow marijuana.
far out man!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Player to be named later

Historically, in that sort of situation one would rely a lot on barter (probably agricultural products) to obtain what you can't make yourself. Whether that barter is for reciprocal services, goods, or currency (scrip, gold, or even a sort of "community credit") would depend on what your neighbors can offer and how organized the nearby settlements are.

Hell, it's not uncommon for people in my area of Ohio to trade goods and services this way today, and it isn't just part of the economy. When I was a kid 20+ years ago driveway plowing services were traded for dogs, or a few bushels of corn and eggplant, or occasionally shooting lessons or a box of reloaded ammo. That sort of market would definitely carry on into the "twilight universe" I'm sure...
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Alot of folks in Rural Areas tend to work in town or on contract type positions. Some freinds work in the town/county as law enforcement in the county, other family members are welders who do contract work for X period of time then return to the farm, others work medical which can be contract for weeks or months in duration or work for the county/local medical facilities.

And of course farming or raising livestock but that would be a part time endevor since you are an amatuer.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Administrator

I live on a little piece of land about 30 miles north of Tucson. I like the relative peace and quiet, the space, and the flora and fauna out here but there are a few things to keep in mind.

The commute. It's a pain in the ass to have to drive for 30min just to get a gallon of milk at the nearest grocery store. It was sheer hell when gas prices were up around $4 a gallon.

Likewise, no one ever wants to come over. It's just too far. Get used to your friends making lots of excuses (or always driving in to town to hand out at their place instead). I can understand but it kind of makes one feel a bit unliked.

We couldn't find a high speed ISP for over four years. That was a long time to deal with sloth-like dial-up. There's still no cable out here so satellite TV is almost must.

Emergency response time. If someone gets hurt, the house catches fire, or someone's trying to kick down your door, it may take a good long while for the relevant authorities to show up. This has got me seriously considering purchasing a firearm for home defense.

Those are the biggies. All, in all, I think rural living is worth it, though.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Things like the drive to the store or EMS response times are understood.

I guess the question was more so what do people who live on a more rural property do for cash? Do they mostly work in the closest city, having to settle for the commute?

Or is there a way to utilize the property to support yourself for the cash needed? Like a mortgage perhaps, cable, farm equipment and such.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Cash crops? Fresh water fish farming? Running a survivalist/merc school?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Do what normal farmers do - grow crops, raise animals, sell timber from their more forested areas.
What about all the farm support services? Mechanics and other tradesmen are neede din teh country just as much as in urban areas. Sell insurance door to door, supply seed, fertiliser, machinery. Shear sheep.

The opportunities are only limited by your imagination really.

With technology today, there's many formally urban jobs that can now be done in some very remote locations - telecommute, i.e. work at home and communicate by the internet (sure you might need a satlink, but it's still very possible and becoming more and more common). I know of at least one top class structural engineer living on the wild east coast of Tasmania, hundreds of kilometres from the office yet churning out building designs, etc.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Running a survivalist/merc school?
As a result, you can also expect to sell donuts to the FBI wtaching you.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
As a result, you can also expect to sell donuts to the FBI wtaching you.
'' I actualy have two freinds who do not know one another suggest we open one. I was thinking it get marketed as a primative knowledge and skill course to apeal to the hippy mother earth crowd, and to the corporate crowd as a team building event and to the folks with low self esteem as a confidence builder.

As for the merc/survival school well they can join under what disguise they want, they register in a suite its the corporate route, wearing tie dye its the earth learning crowd.

As for the police, have a kick ass range, pop up range and kill house with cameras and give the departments a package deal so they will be on your side.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 PM

I have been out of work for a few months now and recently got an application for the Border Patrol. They require a 15month tour in the Southern Border.

Arizona looks nice....is it true Flagstaff runs an average high of 80-90F mid summer? How? Hehe...

Hows the land there...looks like all desert. :P
Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Arizona is an amazingly diverse state. Most of the state is fairly dry, but less than half is true desert. Some areas of Arizona are quite cool and/or moist. I strongly endorse conducting some on-line research. You'll be amazed by just how diverse the climates and landforms of Arizona are.

Webstral
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator

My neighbor works for the Border Patrol in Casa Grande. I live just north of Tucson. And it is most definitely desert here. Northern Arizona has a milder climate in the summers and gets regular snowfall.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module