RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 09-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Default Book Code for Prime Base

As I rewrite Prime Base I'm considering using a book code to provide clues to the players. To be effective the code needs to reference a text that the characters will be able to access but that it is far less likely that the bad guys will have handy. I am considering the semi official goals of the Project.

Help the People
Contact Other Morrow Teams
Try and stay alive

This has acehilmnoprstvw, so doesn't have every letter. It might be rejected out of hand by none project cryptographers for that reason alone. Plus although it is a long running in character in game set of statements I'm not sure it would be written down that much in Project documentation.

Is it too obvious? Is it too obscure?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Internet Intellectual

Needs to be wrapped in blinky Xmas lights and honk like a fog horn when moved or the players will walk past it for shiny things.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:03 PM

Have you read the original module? It's not a shoot'em up. Its a thinking player's module.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
Have you read the original module? It's not a shoot'em up. Its a thinking player's module.
Read the play notes at the back.

No one got it. No one even figured out the base wasn't destroyed only hidden by the deception.

Morrow Project is a shoot'em up RPG..... and Prime Base (original) was just to clever for itself.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:08 PM

We play entirely different types of games with entirely different types of players
Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsofian View Post
We play entirely different types of games with entirely different types of players
Undoubtedly. I was under the impression you were making a re-write of PF08 for sale by Timeline?

I say this as I am paraphrasing (earlier) the "Play of the game notes" found at the end of the module. There is distinctly mentions that not one of the playtest groups discovered the real Prime Base.

I try to write for the teens and the 20s. That player base wants action. PF01, for example, is popular and rightly so. Not for us sedentary 40-60 year olds with selective recollection of the cold War. Such as mine.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:09 PM

"PACK MY BOX WITH FIVE DOZEN LIQUOR JUGS" was the song everybody learned in the Morrow Project boot training camp. Why? Because it was the key to decoding messages. All letters of the English alphabet used at least once in a small sentence of 32 letters.

Last edited by RandyT0001; 09-16-2017 at 07:16 PM.