RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Stragglers and Prisoners

DeaconR 08-03-2008, 06:57 PM Has anyone ever thought of how many POWs or stragglers would have remained in Soviet occupied Poland from XI Corps or the 5th MD? There's a Challenge article about a POW camp, and there's mention of B Troop of the 116th and so on. But is there anything else?

Matt Wiser 08-03-2008, 11:11 PM IIRC the Challenge article on the POW Camp had it down by the Polish/Czech border, but I'd have to dig it out to be sure. The Escape From Kalisz adventure had one of the nearby towns having a POW compound where POWs from the 5th were being brought to, and it's likely that where that adventure has Soviet or Polish units' rear echelon located, there's probably a POW compound where soldiers from that unit deliver any prisoners.

Black Madonna mentioned not only B/1/116 ACR, but also one of the Markgraf's towns detaining about 40 or so stragglers from the 5th ID, as per the Markgraf's instructions.

Targan 08-03-2008, 11:49 PM One of the most important NPCs in the PCs' party in my campaign, a senior USMC NCO based on the character Gunny Tom Highway from the film Heartbreak Ridge, was broken out of that POW camp in a raid early in the campaign.

Hangfire7 08-04-2008, 03:36 AM One of the most important NPCs in the PCs' party in my campaign, a senior USMC NCO based on the character Gunny Tom Highway from the film Heartbreak Ridge, was broken out of that POW camp in a raid early in the campaign.

Well, if you are staying true to the character concept then one should ask,

Was he broken out, or thrown out of the camp by the camp commander for giving him such a hard time? Ask yourself how easy his escape was. Was it too easy? And did anyone check the camp commander to see if he all of a sudden seemed happy, little signs like cartwheels in the camp compound, wearing a party hat and dancing singing, "ding dong the witch is gone...."

I'm just saying

pmulcahy 08-04-2008, 04:35 AM Well, if you are staying true to the character concept then one should ask,

Was he broken out, or thrown out of the camp by the camp commander for giving him such a hard time? Ask yourself how easy his escape was. Was it too easy? And did anyone check the camp commander to see if he all of a sudden seemed happy, little signs like cartwheels in the camp compound, wearing a party hat and dancing singing, "ding dong the witch is gone...."

I'm just saying

And did the camp commander get chewed out by his commander and sent back to Supply...

Targan 08-04-2008, 04:54 AM Was he broken out, or thrown out of the camp by the camp commander for giving him such a hard time?Crazy as it sounds Gunny Lamont deliberately allowed himself to be captured after hearing a rumour that his son, also a Marine, had been wounded, captured and taken to the same prison camp. Turned out his son had died and when the PCs raided the camp Lamont was already preparing to break out himself. He is probably the scariest character in my campaign. Due to Lamont's age Major Po arranged to have him commissioned as a Captain when they got back to the CONUS to keep him in service for longer.

Hangfire7 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM Hey now, I don't remember the Gunny having any kids!!!! Argh. And giving him a commission! Captain! Wha...n....ARGH!!!!!!!!

Him becoming what he loaths, but uh, noooooooooooooo. He then became one of them, now he has to kick his own ass. Nooooooooooo. :no:

DeaconR 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM I'd wonder what good there would be in giving him a commission anyway.

Targan 08-04-2008, 11:48 PM I'd wonder what good there would be in giving him a commission anyway.It was all to do with mandatory retirement age. You can stay in longer as an officer. Bear in mind too that in my campaign characters that have been treated by Major Po using "The Blanket" have often ended up in a conflicted love-hate relationship with Po. On one hand most of them recognise that he is an amoral monster but on the other hand he has the means to heal them from any ailment and possibly even grant them effective immortality. Hence the slow degeneration of Po's unit into a virtual cult of personality.