RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2023, 06:13 PM

Default The ONE-series of Project Vehicles Part One

This is a work in progress, as usual observations and flames are cheerfully welcome!

The ONE-Series: MARS One; Science One; Command One; Medical One; Logistics One:
During this early stage of the Project, there was one distinctive design for the MARS One, the Science One, the Command One, the Medical One and the Logistics One. In the following years, at least four different manufacturing facilities were engaged in building the ever evolving designs of the initial MARS One and Science One vehicles. So, even with numerous designs in the field, the Project designation has remained, only the model numbers have changed.

Road-train concepts derived from the transport-launchers used as mobile ICBM bases, and the advent of fusion power, led to the development of these vehicles. Each Project region has at least a MARS One and Science One vehicle stored at separate installations. At least two Command Ones has been issued to each Regional Command Base as well as Prime Base, Omnicron Base and Sigma Base. Two Medical Ones have been assigned to each Region, again at separate bases. There are at least four Logistics Ones assigned to the various Regional Supply Depots.

The craft are made up of one or more tractor-haulers, one to two mission modules and two to four logistics modules, linked by armored umbilical that act as companionways and coupling devices. The vehicles are sealed against biological, chemical, and most radiological threats, and the integral life-support system can provide a breathable atmosphere for a month without an air change.

The tractor-hauler contains a forward command area with seats for six (driver, commander, communications, sensor operator, two weapon stations). Behind this is a living area with two racks of three bunks each, a small galley and bathroom area. At the rear of this compartment are equipment lockers, an airlock on the right, and a rear hatch that connects to the other modules.

The tractor is armed with two roof-mounted turrets. The front has dual .50 caliber machine guns, the rear has a Mark One Laser which is meant to be used in a point-defense role.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:15 PM

Default The ONE-series of Project Vehicles Part Two

The typical layout of each mission module is as follows: Common features: a two-bed sickbay (each bed equivalent to a medical unit), a duplicate living area to allow the tractor to be used for other tasks and a 100kW fusion plant to provide a independent power supply. There are two side doors and connecting hatches fore and aft to the tractor and logistics modules, respectively.
MARS: A situation room; fire direction center with radio and radar sets and computer system. A Weapons bay with twin breech-loading 81mm mortars and 120 mortar bombs. The mortars are mounted on a turntable and fire through a roof hatch.

On each side of the module are twin M-240C machine guns in a turret capable of a 180 degree traverse, and a 90 degree elevation and depression. Each weapon is provided with a magazine holding 1,000 rounds (2,000 total), there are six additional magazines provided for each weapon. On the front of the roof is a turret fitted with a dedicated radar and sensor system with a Mark 19 40mm AGL. 200 rounds of ready ammunition is mounted and an additional 600 rounds are stored inside.

On the rear of the roof is a weapons pod which mounts one of the following configurations:
Eight ADATS missiles or Six TOW missiles or Two Maverick missiles or Four Chaparral missiles or Two 2.75-inch rocket pods with a total of 38 rockets.

Reloading can only be performed from outside the vehicle. The reloads are carried as cargo in the logistics modules.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:16 PM

Default The ONE-Series of Project Vehicles, Part Three

SCIENCE: The space is dedicated to laboratory work. It is configured to provide a BSL-4 biohazard/HAZMAT-rated zone where highly infective and toxic hazards can be worked with. Six Mark Two Hazard suits are provided. A vehicle defense system consisting on a Mark One Laser and a Mark 19 AGL is mounted on the roof---there is no separate missile pod.

COMMAND: Situation room; communications center as well as radar sets and a computer system. In the middle of the roof is a turret mounting twin .50 caliber machine guns. At the rear of the mission module is a second turret, mounting a Mark Two Laser and a Mark 19 AGL.

MEDICAL: In this mission module, the sickbay is expanded from two to four beds. No weapons are mounted, the space freed up is used to mount additional supply lockers for medical stores.

LOGISTIC: This mission module, in addition to the common features, is fitted with a communications suite and an additional computer with four work stations.
The logistics modules are primarily storage spaces for bulk supplies. Common features include one rear hatch with ramp, two side doors and fore and aft hatches to connect with the mission module(s) or additional logistics modules.

Numerous storage racks and lockers as well as shelves. With a plentiful supply of cargo nets and tie down straps.

A roof-mounted turret with twin .50-caliber machine guns.

An ethanol distillation rig to provide fuel for a HAAM suit and/or Airscout as well as an oxygen compression and storage system to supply the vehicle and portable breathing systems.

In addition, the MARS Logistics Module includes a HAAM Suit and two scout motorcycles.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:35 PM

Are you assuming these looking like the TC-497 Overland Train, Mk II or basing it on some other vehicle type?
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2023, 06:31 PM

More like trying to "maintain" the overall appearance of the classic One-series, but with interchangeable modules. Work in progress.
Old 12-08-2023, 10:45 PM

What about something along the lines of the Russian DT-30 design? It looks to have the capabilities (off road ability is great, cargo capacity/internal volume would be ideal for all of the planned roles), and the body work could always be modified to look more in keeping with the Projects originals?

I've always liked the land train design (probably since reading The Amtrak Wars all those years ago!).
Old 12-09-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
More like trying to "maintain" the overall appearance of the classic One-series, but with interchangeable modules. Work in progress.
Pretty easy to maintain the appearance of the Science One on any of your configurations, as the trailer modules can be virtually any size of shape with just the flexible docking being the same for interchangeability and environmental integrity.

To maintain the sleek lines of the Mars One, the modules are limited in their form factor to have similar profiles and to the front and rear section. Not undoable, just an outlier that reduces manufacturing scale.

If you like, I did some work in this same area a while back. I made a scale drawing of the Mars One to see if I could fit in all the gear 3rd edition had inside. I was able to get it to work, though I did have to move the wheels out from the main body. Having the blueprints really helped. I can post a preview here if you want to see the results.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:25 PM

Please do post. I think we are on the same line of thought.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:50 PM

Here are the three drawing I have thus far.

The top one is the most refined and the one where I tried to justify the Mars One could hold everything and be the overwatch mobile command base it is from 3rd edition. Some modifications I made from the base are placement of the wheels outside of the hull, the addition of a small elevator to lift missiles for reloading the rear weapon pod and the addition of a resist weave/ceramic curtain between the rear ramp and the munitions storage racks just in case hostilities break out nearby while it is open.

The middle drawing is my attempt to recreate the Mars One as described in the 4th edition. I was having difficulties getting everything to fit.

The bottom drawing is my second attempt at the 4th edition version by taking what worked in the 3rd edition drawing and trying to make the changes reflected in 4th edition. I didn't get past this point in the drawing for a number or reasons. I might be go back to it if there is sufficient interest.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2023, 12:07 PM

Yup, we are both on the same track. My ONE-series adds two to three sections (especially the Logistics-One).
Old 12-23-2023, 08:29 AM

I have spent some time thinking about and working on the Mars One again. The base configuration I am working on is a tractor/living space, a command module and rear supply module. Air tight armored gangways connect the modules. Each end of the gangways have an airtight hatch. The question I have is do I need to incorporate airlocks inside each module? The tractor and the rear module would only need one. The middles one(s) would need one at each end to assure environmental integrity in the event of a gangway seal failure. Is this just over engineering or a mission critical requirement?
Old 12-26-2023, 08:33 AM

Considering the planned wakeup time of 3-5 years...I would not consider the airtight/armored airlocks to be over engineering at all. Just just good planning.