RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default The "BYOW" War

pmulcahy 08-06-2004, 01:35 AM I'm thinking that in the later stages of the Twilight War, people in countries that allow private ownership of weapons might be asked to bring their own weapons, if available, when called up. This might be especially true with militia/paramilitary units raised by MilGov and CivGov in the US. This might lead to some interesting ammunition problems, and reloading would become the order of the day, with attendant scrounging.

Of course, independent militia and hamlet guard units would be armed with whatever hodgepodge of weapons that could be scrounnged up, but I'm talking about "regular" military formations armed with such weapons, especially if they are chambered for regular military cartridges.

What say you?

TiggerCCW UK 08-06-2004, 01:55 AM Sounds fairly likely to me, although it would only be weapons in the most common calibres that it would work with.

shrike6 08-06-2004, 04:15 PM Sounds about right to me

Ed the Coastie 08-10-2004, 10:09 PM Could make for some rather eclectic units, if for no other reason than to ease the supply situation by putting all similar weapons in the same unit. Imagine a platoon composed largely of WWII reenactors who showed up for WWIII with their Garands and BARs...

ChalkLine 08-10-2004, 10:33 PM It might have two ways of working out, if the units are created at one area and marched out from there I can see them enrolling you and saying "All right private, I see you are a shotgunner, go stand over there with the other scatter gun guys." Then when the rolls close they work out who they have and take a certain amount of each weapon into each unit.

Otherwise it would be "Okay citizen, hand the weapon in here and you'll be issued one when you join your unit." You go there and find you've swapped a great weapon for a rusty old piece of crap.

Rockhound 08-30-2004, 03:42 PM Sounds fairly likely to me, although it would only be weapons in the most common calibres that it would work with.

The question that comes up then is what would be considered the most common calibers (in longarms at least).

pmulcahy 08-30-2004, 05:25 PM A few guesses (at least for NATO troops) would be 7.62mm NATO/.308 Winchester, 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington, 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP, .380 ACP, .300 Winchester Magnum -- anybody have some more guesses off the top of their heads?

TR 08-30-2004, 06:17 PM For NATO Troops...

Rifles, Machineguns, Sniper Rifles, Misc

5.56x45mm NATO

7.62x51mm NATO

50 Browning

12 Gauge

Pistols, Subguns, Machinepistols

9x19mm Parabellum

380 ACP

45 ACP

For the WARSAW Pact

Rifles, Machineguns, Sniper Rifles

7.62x39mm Soviet

5.45x39mm Soviet

7.62x54mm Soviet

5.56mm MPS

12.9x108mm Soviet

14.5x114mm

Pistols, Subguns, Machinepistols

9mm Makarov

9mm Makarov High Impulse

5.45x18mm Soviet

7.62x63mm

7.62x35mm

12.5x40mm

7.62x62.8mm

4.5x39mm

7.62x42mm

9x21mm

9x26mm

9x39mm

Until Later,

TR

Antenna 08-30-2004, 07:15 PM Well, I happen to know that if Sweden went to war in the T2k Universe the armed forces would had to give around 100,000 to 150,000 troopers the 6.5mm Mauser...

Mauser m/96 (http://www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna...a/pers/m96.htm)

Mauser m/94 Carbine (http://www.ludd.ltu.se/users/antenna...pers/m94_p.htm)

Antenna

Rockhound 08-30-2004, 07:39 PM I think that it would be much more dependant on "Where'" rather than "Who." Europe would generally have different weapons available to the general civilian population than North America than Australia, not even taking into account different areas within the larger continents (the UK as an example). Personally, North America would probably have one of the widest variety of common calibers than most other areas.

graebarde 09-02-2004, 06:58 AM This is an interesting thread. The arming of the forces with civilian weapons stands a chance in the US and probably Canada, however I doubt it would work well in Europe. Reason: Gun Control laws! It is very few in Germany (for example) to own anything but a shotgun or maybe a bolt action deer rifle. NOT IMHO what your going to arm the forces with. Pretty much the same all over Europe if I understand it (with the exception of Switzerland of course where every male has his own service rifle behind the bedroom door)

In the US it could be different, and yes I agree it depends on the area as to the caliber of rounds prefered. BUT I really could not see forces other than the Milita/Home Guard/State Guard being armed with their own weapon. If the powers that be wants to arm the third tier, then they will scrounge 'military' arms. It might be captured enemy weapons (arm the troops with AKs and like caliber, even SKS). Ammunition standardization is the key here as has been pointed out.

Three very popular sizes not mentioned are .243, .30-30, and .270. But as stated unless the personal weapon is chambered to a standard military caliber, I doubt it will be used outside the Milita, and even there standardization will be sought, IF there is any means in which to do so.