RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-10-2018, 03:55 AM

Default Tyres and Rims

The first thing you learn, if you haven't already, when you buy a car is that all tyres and rims are not equal.
From variations in studs, rim widths and diameters to the variation in various tyres designed for one style of car alone it soon becomes obvious that tyres and rims have to be of a specific type suited to the vehicle.
I remember clearly not raising a protest back in the '80s when a player decided to fit the tyres and rims from the LAV-25 to a Hummer even though in the few images available they were in no way the same

However some tyres and rims *will* fit other vehicles. Do you think it's worth noting which ones or is too minor a part to matter?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 AM

Depends on the play of the game, as long as it's not too outrageous, say like putting a 5-ton truck tire on a Hummer, why not.

Or you can make your mechanic remove the axle and just dig it to fit. If the player doesn't take into account the joy of miss-sized tires on the same axle, then a future breakdown is possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Depends on the play of the game, as long as it's not too outrageous, say like putting a 5-ton truck tire on a Hummer, why not.

Or you can make your mechanic remove the axle and just dig it to fit. If the player doesn't take into account the joy of miss-sized tires on the same axle, then a future breakdown is possible.
Remember to make the thing more "Tippy" or make them roll to keep from rolling over.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Good Info on Military Tires

http://www.militarytires.com/

https://halfmastpsmag.wordpress.com/...army-vehicles/
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM

In my opinion, I would only focus on TIRES as they are a "wearable"/"deteriorating" item. I would allow the fitting of any tire that was within 1/2" of the Standard Dimensions for a tire using width by Radius measurements. In other words, a tire sized at 6.5" [the width of the tire]R16" [the rim size in inches] could be used on any 16" rim from 6" to 7" in width. It COULD be fitted to a 15.5" rim IF you used a rim strip to help seal the gaps. Making a rim strip using an adhesive and a piece of old rubber is a task AVE: Mechanics. Stretching that tire (using heat) to fit a 16.5" rim would be DIF: Mechanics AND add 1 to the tire's Wear Value (I keep track of suspensions since they wear out).

Rims:

For rims, it is easier to go up (to a bigger rim) than down. This will often require the manufacture of a "spacer" or "adapter" to fit the other rim. Bigger rims will have a bigger hole for the lug studs (the threaded "bolts" the lug nuts attach to) and the hub (in the center of the rim for the axle). The bigger a rim gets, the larger the hub and lugs get AND the more lugs you will encounter. Hummers have both 12 and 24 bolt lugs while a 5-ton using 53" Super Singles will have TEN (VERY LARGE) lugs that would be compatible with an Articulated Dump Truck (the offroad "rock trucks" that bend in the middle which are used by mines like the operations on Gold Rush). That LAV discussed in the first post would probably have had 28 Lugs of 1/2" diameter (it uses a 53" Super Single too) while a gen 1 Hummer usually had 12 1/2" lugs (the 24 lugs are for CTIS models) on a 20" rim, thus requiring some form of adaptor.

All of this doesn't even take into account going from a regular rim to a rim equipped with CTIS (central tire inflation system) which is different from normal rims on the same vehicle. This could get interesting quick depending on the vehicle... GOOGLE (as a reference) is your friend here.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:02 PM

in 2003 we were going through tires left and right. The only tires that were lasting was the 5 ton tires we ended up putting them on just about everything that they would fit on. It did make some vehicles much more unstable, but we were able to keep them operating.