RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2015, 05:54 AM

Default Domestic food specifics.....

I was putting some cans in the storm supplies, when a "durr" moment caused me to realize the cans have the weight in grams. Now one can be creative with what is "X"kg of domestic food. Here are some samples.

Klim/Nido small can is .56kg
Tang plastic can is .36kg
Large coffee plastic can .79kg
Can of chunky soup .34kg
Don't know why this struck me.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Are these weights of the contents or of the packaged item?

- You want the packaged item weight as your character has to carry it.
- you want the contents weight, as that is the part that nourishes your character. Unless you are a billy goat or a Runequest troll, in which case, the packaging counts as nourishment...

Uncle Ted
Old 05-14-2015, 04:41 PM

I put the content weight. Initially I thought of luxuries, but might expand the list. Refugees and salvage teams might like a quick list of actual items even if it's, generic condensed soup, or one serving beans and franks(.425kg and .22kg)
Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM
The Stat Guy

I always thought of domestic food as something similar to what you might get at a field kitchen -- a sandwich or hot dog, A and B rations, a carton of milk or a can of soda, green eggs and ham, etc -- something like that.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I always thought of domestic food as something similar to what you might get at a field kitchen -- a sandwich or hot dog, A and B rations, a carton of milk or a can of soda, green eggs and ham, etc -- something like that.
But when doing salvage, most will be COTS items. This will be the case in "Armies of the Night" redux. In trading, like "The Free City of Krakow" it would be a mix, drawing rations from a depot would yield the above. It's mainly filler details, but I like that this has generated discussion, always useful stuff.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 PM

See, this is one of the most interesting yet least understood aspects of T2K. Sure, you have the MRE's but what of the human comforts of June 2000 Poland. Is it rotgut potato vodka or 1.5 bottle of Johnny Walker Red? Is it homebrewed crap or the latest incarnation of Warsteiner? My oldest son insisted that his PC rolled for a mountain bike, even though he rolled a "26" for a bicycle ( I made him spend 1000 xp for said bike, even though that could have bought him a generator with diesel). As much as we dispute the greater aspects of 20th/21st century Western War, the root of the game is surviving what happens after that, and that's why we love it!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Are these weights of the contents or of the packaged item?

- You want the packaged item weight as your character has to carry it.
- you want the contents weight, as that is the part that nourishes your character. Unless you are a billy goat or a Runequest troll, in which case, the packaging counts as nourishment...

Uncle Ted
Always include the packaging weight. It is important for the longevity of the food and that weight reduces what your players can carry for weapons and ammo. Clandestine game balance at work.