RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM

Default Name Tapes

Slightly OT question - when did the US Army start having name tapes on their uniforms?
I'm trying to find out if an US soldier in 1961 would have a name tape on his uniform, the earliest pictures I can find showing tapes are 1964-65 Vietnam, no evidence I can find from WW2 or Korea issue uniforms.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM

o'Borg
I can't say for sure when name tapes where first used. But I think by 1961 they where in general use. Initially the army did not have subdued name tapes as I have seen pictures of soldiers in the early 60's wearing the black and gold US ARMY tape over one pocket and early name tapes that where white and black and had the name embrodiered or stamped on. Later they where O.D. and black so they wouldn't be noticed in the field.

Sorry I don't have more information its actually an excellent question.

Brother in Arms
Old 11-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

For U.S. Marines stenciling of uniforms was allowed in WWII and even when I was in, although few people did it. As for the name tapes they were proposed and word was passed in mid to late 91 and by Febuary/March of 92 they were mandatory.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 AM

A little lateral thinking and I partially answered my own question -

Elvis was in the army from March 1958 - ergo my 1961 soldier would have been wearing a name tape.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Name tapes in US Army were as stated black print/embroidery on white tape and gold on black USARMY in the mid-fifties. It was about 1966-67 that they went subdues (that white stripe makes a nice target at night if nothing else). I know when the build-up in Nam started they were NOT subdued, but by the time I entered in '68 they were. Though even at that time, our winter issue for the wool shirts (Korean war ere BTW) mostly had the gold and black tapes. We of course, at our expense of time, effort, or money, had to replace them with issued black and OD.

Grae
Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM

FORD! How are you mate!?

(PS; do they have machines that make up the tapes that can be deployed into the theatre? How hard is it to remove the tape to transfer to another set of BDUs?)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

We had a sew sew lady make them for us in Japan. these tapes were "illegal" as they were slightly raised unlike the issue ones through the PC. But, oddly enough, they passed the inspection when my PX/uniform shop ones didn't arrive in time.

As for transfering from one uniform to another. It depends on how well they were sewn on. Ones I had sewn would require a razor blade to cut the threads, I must admit, my sewing was much better than the trained chimps they had in the base uniform shop. And on time as well. And I would easily earn 100 a weekend before and after inspections just sewing the tapes and chevrons on.

If the person sewing used cheap thread, didn't tie the threads down or was sloppy or used minimal stitching per inch then they could easily come off. I saw many a home sew job that was crap. But, the ones I did, no complaints ever, and I never got gigged either

Bottom line, 5 minutes to remove, half hour to do the top. This is by hand and without a machine.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine
FORD! How are you mate!?

(PS; do they have machines that make up the tapes that can be deployed into the theatre? How hard is it to remove the tape to transfer to another set of BDUs?)
Chugging along. And you?

There are emboidey machines used in stores as Jester mentions. As for putting them on, Jester is on the mark. Often the old tapes are not transfered, as they were too faded for the new uniform. The fading needed to match to prevent the gig, at least every where I went. More anal military thinking.

Grae