RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Modified Vehicles in T2K

A photo Mohoender posted in the Using Captured Vehicles thread inspired me to start a thread for modified vehicles one might find in the T2K world.

What modified vehicles exist in your T2K world or campaign? These could be factory mods or field mods. It's always nice to spice up a game with some odd, one-off vehicles or systems that don't exist in our current timeline.

I'm thinking along the lines of ChalkLine's upgunned Jagdpanzer Kanone (JPZ 4-5) with a 105 or 120mm gun (AT mode) or an Soviet-made (formerly property of the DDR) 122mm gun-howitzer (assault gun mode) in place of the original 90mm AT gun.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Well, the thread on Gun Trucks touches a bit on the myriad options for armored gun-trucks. There may also be extensive use of unarmored "technicals".

The Israeli's were leaders in upgrading captured Soviet vehicles - replacing engines with more reliable/fuel efficient Western ones, putting Western fire-control and vision systems in, and replacing weapons to NATO standard, such as swapping in a NATO-standard 105mm gun for the 100mm mounted in a T-55.

Another long tradition for modifying vehicles is to take obsolete tank chassis and convert them to heavy APCs by removing the turret, or converting them to SP AT guns (WWII-era Marder) or artillery (WWII-era Wespe, post-war D-30s on T-34 chassis used by Egypt). I guess you could also mount a heavy ATGM or large mortar (4.2" or 120mm) in a de-turreted tank chassis.

Finally, various manufacturers proposed different turrets for a variety of hulls, with the M-113 series probably being the most prolific. Off the top of my head, the Australian Army mounted Saladin armored car turrets, the Danish Army has a different turret and there are probably 50 more variants, including the fantasy M-115A1 variant in the v1 US Army Vehicle Guide, mounting the LAV-25 turret.

In 2000, vehicle modifications could take any number of forms, based on the technical skill, desperation and material status of any particular group. The only reason I could see for pulling a tank turret off by that point in the war is if its visibly damaged and unable to be repaired - even if out of ammo it can still be used to intimidate!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I would suggest you read the equipment in China Thread for upgrades to the T-55
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 AM

Nice Raellus. As, like Kato (according to himself), I'm always in some kind of equipment frenzy, I put up some of the interesting modifications I found over time.

One of the widely modified vehicle is, of course, the M113 and many exemples are found in the lebanese army: M113-ZU23, up armored M113-ZU-23, M113-ZPU2 and M113-ZPU4 (sorry about the bad picture).
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Here is another modern modification that could have come out from WWII.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 AM

The other two modified vehicles I found are interesting also.

The MT-LB with the ZU-23 is a Georgian vehicle but similar vehicles were used by Iraq under Saddam.

The last one is on display in Israel and it is a modified T-34 by the Egyptian. Of course, you won't find it in T2K but it might give an idea of what further field modifications might be. In my opinion, every local warlord will try to give mobility to whatever gun they have. As a result, modification would be limited only by imagination. After all, the most striking modification to these days (in my opinion of course) remain that of the AC-130 Specter, an idea which came from the AC-47 during vietnam.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mohoender; 01-02-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Here is another modern modification that could have come out from WWII.
This time it's not from WWII, Mo. I's a light 4x4 Pegaso truck (made in Spain). I'm not sure about the exact type. The "Ejército de Tierra" (the spanish ground forces) is selling the retired Pegaso trucks to the general public. Everybody can purchase one of them since 4.000 Euros (aprox.).

Name:  p72171qw2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  52.7 KB
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
This time it's not from WWII, Mo. I's a light 4x4 Pegaso truck (made in Spain). I'm not sure about the exact type. The "Ejército de Tierra" (the spanish ground forces) is selling the retired Pegaso trucks to the general public. Everybody can purchase one of them since 4.000 Euros (aprox.).

Attachment 139
Bad way of saying things on my part, sorry. I just meant it looked like some WWII modification, not that it was one. I identified the Pegaso from the cabin (also I had never seen the 4x4 version but I never looked for it) with a ZU-23 mounted on it. In the original comment, it was given as a ZPU-2 but I'm not convinced (also I might be wrong).
Old 01-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Bad way of saying things on my part, sorry. I just meant it looked like some WWII modification, not that it was one. I identified the Pegaso from the cabin (also I had never seen the 4x4 version but I never looked for it) with a ZU-23 mounted on it. In the original comment, it was given as a ZPU-2 but I'm not convinced (also I might be wrong).
Bona nit!

I think you have reason about the ZU-23. Probably Stackmouse would be able to confirm that point.

Tags
vehicles