RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Default KFS Platoon Fort: Watchtower 77

I've been writing up some thoughts on the KFS strategy and its use of the Air Force for "Air Control & Coercion" operations and I need some help on the final phase - specifically the 'temporary' air strips that are put into place.

I have a platoon-level outpost which guards a landing strip (and keeps the locals aware of how good it is to have KFS 'protection') - but I'd like some feedback on just what would be involved

This is the airstrip's watchtower (which also provides accommodation for about 30 people) http://morrow-industries.com/morrow-project-blog/?p=801

Now... I know some people here have experience of living in fortified positions so before I work on floorplans, please let me know if this watchtower is plausible
Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I really like it but I have few questions.

First why the armory on the 5th floor. That would seem to be better on the first floor or basement for both access and ease of resupply.

Second. How is water and sewage handled beyond the basement storage of rainwater. Do you have pumps to get water to the 4th floor bathroom?. Is there a septic system?

Third. How is food prep handled. In the ready room?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
I really like it but I have few questions.

First why the armory on the 5th floor. That would seem to be better on the first floor or basement for both access and ease of resupply.
2 reasons. First, in the event of someone breaching the front door, I wanted want the armory to be the last thing that was captured. Secondly, EVERYONE has to get past the platoon leader before they reach the armory

Quote:
Second. How is water and sewage handled beyond the basement storage of rainwater. Do you have pumps to get water to the 4th floor bathroom?. Is there a septic system?
Good point. I think there'd be pumps. This is part of the infrastructure of an airstrip, so there should be some pumps for dealing with fires if nothing else. Or would it be simpler if the water tank was on the fourth floor?

There would also have to be a septic tank nearby

Quote:
Third. How is food prep handled. In the ready room?
Kitchen in basement - with a rota for KP duty. I suppose they should eat in the ready room and in 2 shifts (and the platoon sgt can eavesdrop on any dinner table discussion). The platoon Lt eats in his quarters
Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
Good point. I think there'd be pumps. This is part of the infrastructure of an airstrip, so there should be some pumps for dealing with fires if nothing else. Or would it be simpler if the water tank was on the fourth floor?
From a weight perspective I would keep it a small tank on the fourth and the main tank in the basement. The small tanks can be filled from the same run off as the main and I guess the sewage could run parallel. I just didn't see the need for serious plumbing spanning several floors if they were trying to make this as simple as possible.

I saw the kitchen but you answered the question I meant to ask about meals. Mess rather than food prep.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM

It does look interesting.

A circular starcase with a counterclock-wise twist would be the best from a space saving standpoint. This will allow the stairs to be defended more easliy from the floor above, this could go up the central part of the tower or be placed in one of the back corners of the tower, farthest from the main door.

How is the tower shipped in and erected?

Purpose of the ran gutters? To gather water for the showers and latrine?

How is the place heated and or cooled?

Last edited by nuke11; 03-11-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post

A circular starcase with a counterclock-wise twist would be the best from a space saving standpoint.
Actually ladders would save the most space.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:

A circular starcase with a counterclock-wise twist would be the best from a space saving standpoint. This will allow the stairs to be defended more easliy from the floor above, this could go up the central part of the tower or be placed in one of the back corners of the tower, farthest from the main door.

How is the tower shipped in and erected?

Purpose of the ran gutters? To gather water for the showers and latrine?

How is the place heated and or cooled?
Thanks for making me think about this.....

SHIPPING: http://www.ecoliteconcrete.com/shipping.php

ERECTION/INSTALLATION: http://www.ecoliteconcrete.com/installation.php

SUMMARY OF MATERIAL: http://www.precast.org/publications/...r/studcast.htm

This is partly bluff to impress the locals. The concrete/studcrete is less than 2 inches thick and therefore not able to stop much firepower (it should stop any SINGLE bullet smaller than a Heavy Machine Gun - but a GPMG will eventually eat holes in it) . Therefore, many garrison commanders like to have sandbags lining the interior walls

The gutters are there to remove rainwater to a more useful location.

HVAC is something I hadn't considered... If they must have heating etcterera, then it's probably with electrical powered space heaters and/or a few air conditioners. Considering the power requirements, the 'generator' is probably quite sizeable and probably includes truck batteries as well as a KFS multi-fuel wankel engine.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Actually ladders would save the most space.
If you look at the floors and what is contained in them, the officer's quaters is up on the 4th floor. I don't think an officer will want to climb up stairs each time they want to get to their room, espically in the KFS Defence Forces.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If you look at the floors and what is contained in them, the officer's quaters is up on the 4th floor. I don't think an officer will want to climb up stairs each time they want to get to their room, espically in the KFS Defence Forces.
I agree it would annoy the officer but I think there is still a logic to ladders logistically. You also need to remember these are the lowest level of officers in most cases and that ladders are acceptable on Naval ships for officers to transit between decks.

Here are my thoughts. Materials wise stairs would be more difficult to construct and would take up quite a bit of limited floor space. A big downside would be constantly moving consumables (ammo) to the top floors. But for that I have considered putting a rope and pulley system at the top of the ladder column. I admit a ladder system creates a bottleneck in movement (especially with combat loaded troops), but I am thinking of a two ladder system with removable plates for safety.

If you look at the drawing below the red lines would be the removable plates. These are for safety (preventing one from plummeting 40 feet to their death), but can be removed to move cargo to the top levels or when speed requires both ladders be used at the same time.

Stairs still would be better for transit that my ladder plan, so I guess it all comes down to how much floor space you have.
Attached Images

Last edited by kato13; 03-13-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes. That might work. It's simpler than my idea - which was to have the 'spiral staircase' run up the inner wall of the tower (although the Martello Tower did take that approach)