RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
I would have 6 teams of 20-30 people each spaced around the country, with a matching number of MARS teams for security. 3 such teams could replace a lost Regional Command, supplementing later with individuals drawn from elsewhere, or all 6 could do the same for Prime Base. Each team would know the locations of 3-4 Regional commands and at least half would know the location of Prime Base.

If a command is lost, the Teams are activated. The nearest Team goes to the site and evaluates the situation and communicates whether or not the site is still viable, and sets up basic functions there or somewhere else. The rest of the Teams follow as soon as possible.

And with the exception of the MARS Teams, these are administrators , not field personnel. The regular Frozen Watch has a different job and needs different people.
I meant the facilities would have the most basic gear, like the FW. mostly sidearms in the emergency lockers with a couple of long arms.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
I meant the facilities would have the most basic gear, like the FW. mostly sidearms in the emergency lockers with a couple of long arms.
I've never seen the point in that. The expense of training and freezing absolutely dwarfs the cost of equipping, and minimizing their equipment endangers them if there is a bolthole compromise, renders them mostly ineffective until they can be properly equipped (and how long does that take?), and means that they can only be woken if the area is safe and/or a team is able to provide security... in which case are they really that badly needed?

Give them versatile equipment - assault rifles and hummers, or the like. Or something general but appropriate to their skills, like GPMG's or SAWs for MARS. But don't leave them useless and defenseless when you only expect to use them when something had gone wrong.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:08 AM

That was for the FW, but is still applies to a lesser degree for backup administrators. Such a team might need to cross hundreds or even thousands of miles of unsecured territory to accomplish their mission, that is too far for emergency equipment.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
That was for the FW, but is still applies to a lesser degree for backup administrators. Such a team might need to cross hundreds or even thousands of miles of unsecured territory to accomplish their mission, that is too far for emergency equipment.
I have a concept called Regional Rescue Teams. These teams are first responders type resources. It is true that standard urban response vehicles won't be capable of this mission but there have been armored ambulances since at least WW2. I recall Cadillac Gage having both an ambulance and fire engine version http://www.albert-baas.nl/cadillac.htm https://www.armyrecognition.com/etat..._sheet_de.html

I've always been a tracked vehicle man myself so I can look at these lovely beauties from the former USSR http://englishrussia.com/2010/08/06/...s-of-the-ussr/

So these teams have three vehicles. One is an ambulance, the second is a fire engine and the third is a heavy rescue vehicle. The team generally consists of a trauma surgeon and paramedics and fire fighters, trained in both rescue and suppression (urban and wildland). I figure a 12 person team.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
I've never seen the point in that. The expense of training and freezing absolutely dwarfs the cost of equipping, and minimizing their equipment endangers them if there is a bolthole compromise, renders them mostly ineffective until they can be properly equipped (and how long does that take?), and means that they can only be woken if the area is safe and/or a team is able to provide security... in which case are they really that badly needed?

Give them versatile equipment - assault rifles and hummers, or the like. Or something general but appropriate to their skills, like GPMG's or SAWs for MARS. But don't leave them useless and defenseless when you only expect to use them when something had gone wrong.
In this case it would be a "pull" to quickly gather these people and bring them home. Though the Pheonix Team could do that with a Chinook, and a C130. Perhaps hide Pheonix very well, use your book idea to discover and retrieve each team. BTW, the article with Frozen Watch vs. some Badges didn't have enough weapons for six people, I had to add another sidearm to a locker.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
In this case it would be a "pull" to quickly gather these people and bring them home. Though the Pheonix Team could do that with a Chinook, and a C130. Perhaps hide Pheonix very well, use your book idea to discover and retrieve each team. BTW, the article with Frozen Watch vs. some Badges didn't have enough weapons for six people, I had to add another sidearm to a locker.
You can't count on being able to dispatch resources to those people, especially in the case of an emergency that threatens their location. The C-130's will take months or years of work to become available between any two given points, and helicopters may not be broadly deployable for a while either - how long will it to take to secure the airspace with sufficient surety to risk such irreplaceable assets?

There is already a reasonable expectation that the Project needs backup equipment as well as backup personnel, so why not put some of the former in with the latter?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I agree completely with Cosmicfish. A bolt hole costs considerable monies and is to be abandoned. Just the cost of recruiting a team member will run in the thousands, background checks, interviews, resume reading all that stuff costs time and money. Add the cost of training, which will be tens of thousands if not 100,000 or even more. To penny pinch on equipment makes no sense whatever.