RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 04-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default Morrow Aviation Assets

So far outlined in the 3rd edition and modules the Project has available.
  • Autogyro
  • OH-6 Cayuse
  • CH-47 Chinook
  • C-130 Hercules

Any of these can be armed and perform a ground attack role. The Project doesn't appear to offer anything fixed wing with an air superiority role.

That is why I recommend the "light" and properly described defensive fighter for this role, the F-5 Freedom Fighter.

The role of protecting Morrow assets from Soviet air assets, and rogue units of the U.S., Canadian, and Mexican air forces. At the same time without appearing to challenge the legitimate air force of the U.S. government.

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 04-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Internet Intellectual

The next asset I would propose........

Aerostats.

These are lighter than air lift vehicles without a crew that remain tethered to a location.

Uses include
  • high altitude antennas for greater broadcast and reception range.
  • Radio relay for two ground stations over great or elevated terrain, such as mountainous terrain.
  • Radar coverage for military and civil aircraft tracking.
  • mobile radar coverage by changing the fixed location on a regular basis.
  • Radar coverage during unusual weather or storm seasons such as hurricanes or tornadoes. (placed around the perimeter of a storm area or raised in the aftermath).
  • long range and ultra long range video surveillance with multiple, all weather, pan/tilt/zoom cameras.
  • Navigation beacons similar to the Loran system to guide emergency and relief aircraft.
  • long duration air sampling platform for ionizing radiation and chemical warfare agents.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM

I see the Morrow Project having Cargo Planes and other aircraft like that, but I don't see them having any fighter aircraft. Too noticeable to go missing and the Project could depend on USAF or National Guard Aircraft to do any defending as there expected to wake up five years after a Nuclear Strike. There job is to help rebuild, not fight a war. So Cargo Planes and Helicopters. Lots of Helicopters, probably old Huey's as there were plenty made and were pretty rugged. They could serve as a gunship in a pinch but better for moving assets around to aid in the rebuilding project. Plus they don't need a runway like cargo planes.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM

Maybe Spain's supplemental order of eight AV-8S Matadors in the 1980's were re-routed to the MP. This provide a flight of four at PB and the backup base.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
I see the Morrow Project having Cargo Planes and other aircraft like that, but I don't see them having any fighter aircraft. Too noticeable to go missing and the Project could depend on USAF or National Guard Aircraft to do any defending as there expected to wake up five years after a Nuclear Strike. There job is to help rebuild, not fight a war. So Cargo Planes and Helicopters. Lots of Helicopters, probably old Huey's as there were plenty made and were pretty rugged. They could serve as a gunship in a pinch but better for moving assets around to aid in the rebuilding project. Plus they don't need a runway like cargo planes.
I am not envisioning the F-5s as seeking out to engage Soviet units but, as on hand to protect Morrow Assets solely. On flight of four that covers Prime Base for example. An asset that can be maintained on standby status indefinitely with several pilots qualified for that plane. In this way a round the clock alert could be maintained without exhausted pilots.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I am not envisioning the F-5s as seeking out to engage Soviet units but, as on hand to protect Morrow Assets solely. On flight of four that covers Prime Base for example. An asset that can be maintained on standby status indefinitely with several pilots qualified for that plane. In this way a round the clock alert could be maintained without exhausted pilots.
But isn't Prime Base's true defense its being a hidden asset? Something a flight of fighters that will have to launch, if only for training give its location away? At most I could see a flight of fighters (or maybe just two) hidden at a nearby airfield but I really doubt it. The Project would probably depend on other assets to protect Prime Base. Hidden SAM sites or MAR's Teams.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlion1 View Post
But isn't Prime Base's true defense its being a hidden asset? Something a flight of fighters that will have to launch, if only for training give its location away? At most I could see a flight of fighters (or maybe just two) hidden at a nearby airfield but I really doubt it. The Project would probably depend on other assets to protect Prime Base. Hidden SAM sites or MAR's Teams.
Prime is (was) hidden until activation. In P08 (Prime Base) the Base Commander built the village right at the mouth of the Canyon.

This precipitated the events that takes out the base staff and sets up for the faulty random numbers generator to wake Teams.

So I think, given that, The Project facilities are meant to be hidden until needed. Then at D+ 5 years the Project begins and a huge glowing "open for business" sign goes up over Prime, Regional Bases, and Depots.

That means the defensive nature of the Projects weapon systems (Anti tank but, no Tanks) means local defense of assets and refugees. This then means the need is to be active out to a minimum range, or plan on no assistance from a .mil asset actively engaged in the Soviet attack and invasion.

F-5s are short ranged and rely on a ground station to vector them to a target. Their armament is light and fuel capacity isn't great. The U.S. is fully aware of the capabilities (unless this is a fusion powered F-5!) and the radar profile is stored in the DoD computers for comparison.

Thus, a short ranged F-5 that launches only on command of a ground station and orbits an area no greater than 100 mile radius in a desolate area is going to make the DoD scratch their heads. The .gov remaining certainly would like to take control of or at minimum integrate those F-5s into an overall air defense plan if the project had happened at D + 5 years.

There isn't a .gov or .mil asset until one of the "New Presidencies" can be determined to be legitimate, if that ever happens.