RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default The Twilight 2000 Chunnel

pmulcahy 01-28-2006, 07:39 PM I think I already asked these questions long ago, but I don't remember the answers.

1) What would the ultimate fate of the Chunnel have been in the Twilight War? Would bombing or demolition have put it out of action early, either by the Pact (to prevent its use by the British and Americans to move troops and equipment to Continental Europe), or perhaps even by the Britain herself (to prevent the opposite)?

2) For that matter, would the French even allow it to be used to move troops and equipment to Continental Europe? (Definitely not later, I would guess!) Or would they demolish their entrance to the Chunnel? Would the British do the same later in the war once the French became hostile to the British, for the same reasons?

3) How long would it take for neglect and natural deterioration to make the Chunnel unusable, assuming it had not been made unusable earlier?

DeaconR 01-29-2006, 01:45 AM This is a tough one, and I'm glad you brought it up, since at some point my players are probably going to return to Europe, likely to the UK.

I'm toying with a few ideas.

1. Mutual agreement seals up the Chunnel.

2. One party destroys it preemptively.

3. An attempt is made to keep it neutral by inspecting goods and people going through either end.

However I have to admit I kind of like 2 for simplicity's sake.

TrailerParkJawa 01-29-2006, 02:37 AM Hard to say...keeping commerce going it pretty important. I think in the beginning goods and people would flow but not military equipment. As things get worse, then we might see someone attacking the facilities or closing it down.

Lindgaard 01-29-2006, 02:43 AM 2) For that matter, would the French even allow it to be used to move troops and equipment to Continental Europe? (Definitely not later, I would guess!) Or would they demolish their entrance to the Chunnel? Would the British do the same later in the war once the French became hostile to the British, for the same reasons?

France withdraws from NATO in november '96, in protest. I can't see them allowing troops and equipment through the tunnel after that. Normal goods for trade and civilians might still be allowed.

3) How long would it take for neglect and natural deterioration to make the Chunnel unusable, assuming it had not been made unusable earlier?

I saw a show about the tunnel on Discovery channel some time ago. The chunnel has huge pumping system to drain away water seeping through the walls.

If it broke down or lost power, the chunnel would be flooded in very short time. I don't remember exactly how long, but it was a matter of days !

regards

Lindgaard

ChalkLine 01-29-2006, 03:07 AM You have to admit though, it makes the ultimate 'Checkpoint Charlie' for the two countries.

I can't see either damaging it, and allowing tunnels to fill with water is not good for them. I don't think you'd get rail going through them, but I expect the French at least would maintain it.

(I'd never heard of it being called the 'Chunnel' before! )

Lindgaard 01-29-2006, 03:21 AM I'd never heard of it being called the 'Chunnel' before!

Try saying "channeltunnel" 15 times, and you'll understand why it's called chunnel :wink:

gstitz 01-29-2006, 08:14 PM My guess would be that the Russians would have targeted the British end with a cruise missile strike.

Of course, as was pointed out, a loss of electrical service would flood the Chunnel in a few days...

Targan 01-30-2006, 07:29 AM EMP might down the French power system in parts of the country (over and over again probably) after the nukes fly, but unlike the UK, France would be in a position to get power restored reasonably quickly on each occassion. I think if the French wanted to, they could keep the Chunnel from flooding during the Twilight War. Question is, would they want to (or bother)?

TrailerParkJawa 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM After the nukes fly I don't see the French wanting too bother keep the tunnel from flooding. At that point husbanding your resources is going to be a primary concern. If commerce from England comes to a grinding halt, then products are not going to be flowing through the chunnel anyway.