RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Slightly OT: Generation Kill

copeab 07-21-2008, 05:05 AM New miniseries on HBO, with the second episode airing last night. It's about a Marine unit during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Much cliched military stereotypes abound, but I still think it's well done; feels a bit like Full Metal Jacket. So far, it hasn't shown a political agenda one way or the other and I hope it doesn't.

Brandon

TiggerCCW UK 07-21-2008, 08:23 AM I've read the book the series is based on. Good read, I hope the series does it justice.

Raellus 07-21-2008, 12:06 PM I enjoyed the book as well. I don't have HBO so I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD and then Netflix it.

Generation Kill also convinced me that the Humvee is probably the best all-round PC vehicle for T2K.

Law0369 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM Nate Fick was my Platoon commander in Afghanistan and the Platoon of recon Bravo 2d was the Platoon that went with us .All top notch guys and studs. The only guys in the Show i dont know are the few boots that they have . Most of the guys are still in and have risen in rank to be Platoon sergeants or higher level instructors some where in the Corps. Fick recieved his double Masters from Harvard this year and is a real life stud. cant say enough about him and who he is and his greatness. Sgt esparra in the movie is a real jokester most of his I hate whitey are jokes. He is a solid man and a great family man . He has made many sacrafices in private life for wife and kids that most men would or could not make . Once again total stud and would give my life for him or Nate Fick. Like I said I went to combat with most of these guys and my shit might be Biased because I'm in his book and we are still in contact . He will be my Mentor for life and I would do anything for him. well enough of a rant. Sgt colbert had this guy in there truck and most of it is true so watch and form your own opinion and enjoy.

Targan 07-21-2008, 11:54 PM Hope its shown here in Oz.

antimedic 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM Yup, looks like HBO has another hit on there hands. What sucks is my girlfriend all of a sudden has a thing for Jarheads.

Twilight2000V3 07-29-2008, 10:48 AM Hey Law - and others,

Im early on in the book and 3 episodes into the series. Can someone clear something up for me.

"Encino Man" is the CO of 2nd Coy. Fick is CO of 2nd Plt/2nd Coy. "Captain America" is the CO for 3rd Plt/2nd Coy or CO for 3rd Coy?

Law0369 07-29-2008, 01:24 PM 1st recon Bn is divided into 5 companys.... Headquarters and Service Company, Alpha,Bravo,Charlie,Delta..

In the movine they only show the first three not charlie or delta...

Encino man is Co of Bravo company..Fick is 2nd Plt cmdr Bravo Co,Capt america is 3d Plt Cmdr Bravo Co....

http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/DIV/1ReconBn/default.asp

Twilight2000V3 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM THat's what I though. Is it common to have a Capt. in a Plt CO slot?

Law0369 07-29-2008, 03:48 PM Well I will break this down for you....Sort of hard to explain

Most officers are in for a 6 year tour

Path of Infantry officer for United States Marine Corps.

4 Year college Ba Degree

Entry level training about 1 year

OCS (Quantico Virginia) 12 weeks (AKA BOOT CAMP)

TBS (The Basic school) 6 Months 2 weeks (Every Marine a Rifle Platoon CMDR)

IOC (Infantry Officer Course) 12 weeks

Fisrt tour 12-18 months

Rifle Platoon CMDR of 42 Marines

second tour 12-18 months

Rifle,weapons, H&S company XO

weapons Plt CMDR in the rifle company

81 MM Plt CMDR

CAAT PLT CMDR

Recon Plt CMDR

third tour 12-18 months

Instructor basic school,IOC, OCS

any of the many B-Billets

If the captian decides to stay in they are sent to EWS(Quantico) or Maneuver Captains Career Course, formerly Infantry Officer Advanced Course at Ft. Benning. These course quailify them for company command. So Captians are broken down into pre school captians and post school captians. big differance.

at 2 years time and service automatic promotion to 1st Lt.

at about 4 years time and service almost automatic Promotion Captian.

Webstral 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM If only the Army were similarly dedicated to the production of quality officers. I was dreadfully disappointed with Army OCS. Although I learned a lot, almost none of its was based on the classroom. I made tons of mistakes during the field exercises and asked lots of questions. Nothing teaches like getting lost and loading the MG rounds upside down. I can't see that the infantry staff sergeants in my class got a d****d thing out of the 14 weeks we spent at Officer Candidate School. Sadly, when I have compared notes with ROTC graduates, they often remark that I had a tough, interesting experience. Yikes.

Webstral

Twilight2000V3 07-30-2008, 10:53 PM Law,

Can you elaborate more on the difference between Recon Bn. and Force Recon?

I take it Recon is more of a RCT Recon element and Force is more a Direct Action and Spec Ops type missions?

All i know is that Force Recon operated much like LRRP units in Vietnam but I'm unsure of the current use of Force Recon.

Sorry to be so "ignorant" about it but someone told me they were merging both the "units" together which I did not beleive.

copeab 07-31-2008, 04:32 AM [QUOTE=Twilight2000V3

All i know is that Force Recon operated much like LRRP units in Vietnam but I'm unsure of the current use of Force Recon.

[/QUOTE]

In the third episode, I got a lot of _Rat Patrol_ flashbacks.

Brandon