RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971
Default Lake Bonneville and Lake Lahontan

I'm splitting this off from my Map thread...

With the American Outback introducing us to Lake Bonneville, I want to get a hold of Chris and ask if Lake Lahontan has also come back... Because there has been talk for the past fifty years of refilling both Lahotan and Bonneville by the Army Corps of Engineers and the North American Water & Power Alliance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...Power_Alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Lahontan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonneville

Thus i was wondering what others thought about this... would both modules that have been written taking place in Nevada be able to handle the rebirth of Lake Lahontan?
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 PM

Going by what I remember from the modules, I think there would be quite a bit of impact, when I get home tonight I check the maps and area of operation and see what happens.

It would be nice to see both lakes come back...but I have a feeling that if the Corps of Engineers started diverting water, California will find some way to allow the state to divert water...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

had to run some maps so my apoligies to taking longer than expected to reply. If Lake Lahontan pulls its full eastern extent, then Desert Search is going to be impacted, looks like it would be covered by 50m or so of water.

Prime Base is going to be more like an island surrounded by deep water.

There is a bit of debate as to the actual extent/depth of Lahontan, I went with worse case.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
had to run some maps so my apoligies to taking longer than expected to reply. If Lake Lahontan pulls its full eastern extent, then Desert Search is going to be impacted, looks like it would be covered by 50m or so of water.

Prime Base is going to be more like an island surrounded by deep water.

There is a bit of debate as to the actual extent/depth of Lahontan, I went with worse case.
I see... i had thought that Desert Search's location would have had them having to cross Lake Lahontan at some point since the Prime Base and Desert Search Modules had said that there wasn't that many Morrow Assets located in the state.

Darn. Totally blows my idea to have the water tables damaged and the subterranean lakes coming back up thanks to the changes post-TEOTWAWKI Event.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Like I said, I used worst case to figure the extent of the lake....if you go with say a 50% figure, then Prime Base is on a larger island/border line peninsula. The Desert Search bases then become beach-front property.

I'm trying to get some USGS maps of the area and see if I can firm up depth/extent numbers.

Have to admit this is intresting, going with the lake is certainly going to impact the local climate to a larger extent than my first read.

Will post when I have anything new.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I used worst case to figure the extent of the lake....if you go with say a 50% figure, then Prime Base is on a larger island/border line peninsula. The Desert Search bases then become beach-front property.

I'm trying to get some USGS maps of the area and see if I can firm up depth/extent numbers.

Have to admit this is intresting, going with the lake is certainly going to impact the local climate to a larger extent than my first read.

Will post when I have anything new.
Thank you!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Here is the usgs site:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/mf/1999/mf-2323/mf2323.pdf

Be advised this is a 3.71MB download but its the best map that I've found that shows the extent of the lake system in Nevada The brighter yellow areas are the maximum extent levels.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM

thank you, i'll check it out. Does it also have Lake bonneville inculded?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Nope.

There is one draw back to the map, there is no comment on the four major rivers that would feed into the lake. But if you go with all of the lakes flooding, you can see how it will impact the Desert Search ops area.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Nope.

There is one draw back to the map, there is no comment on the four major rivers that would feed into the lake. But if you go with all of the lakes flooding, you can see how it will impact the Desert Search ops area.
Yup. I guess only Lake Bonneville will be the extinct lake that has shown up in the Morrow Project North America...