RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Twilight 1957: Operation Dropshot

Greetings,

I'm not sure if I've commented about this before but with all of the comments on the Red Dawn Remake, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at this.
Operation Dropshot was the Pentagon's code name for warplans for WWIII in the 1950's. The plan itself was originated in the late '40's. John Reilly has an excellent analysis of Dropshot on his website.
www.johnreilly.info
I mean think about it. The chance to play Elvis Presley as an American tanker caught up in WWIII.

Frank Frey
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Interesting reading all around.

More direct link as the page is a little cluttered.

http://www.johnreilly.info/ww3.htm

Last edited by kato13; 04-03-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Default odd coincidence--Operation Dropshot

How bizarre it should be mentioned--I just found a used copy of the book at my local flea market's bookstand. Needless to say, I grabbed it and ran gleefully, having hurled the $4 asking price at the stand's owner before she could change her mind about selling it.

Kinda frightening when you consider that many of the decisions and policies that the US implemented over the duration of the Cold War, especially in the 50's, was in preparation for this blueprint for apocalypse. Guaranteeing oil supplies (Iran/Mossedegh--> Iran/Pahlevi), alliances with less-than-democratic governments (Central America, anyone?), and intelligence-gathering programs (MK-Ultra) were fueled by the need to prepare for January 1, 1957, the estimated date of TEOTWAWKI.

I was surprised at the length of time allotted to the wind-up for actually dropping The Bomb on the Soviets--days, if not weeks or months. I guess growing up in the ballistic missile phase of the cold war, I expected instant Total Warfare-and-World-Obliteration. I was also surprised that one of the vital/critical targets was about 15 miles away from my home town. In terms of the Big Warhead club prevalent at that time, I would have been a vapor before I even got out into the world!

I would truly love to get details on the Vital/Critical/Important sites located (but not described) on the US Target map provided. I imagine the original source documents would have more of such details, but alas, they are not available to me.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:08 AM

It's a good and informative read and I'm very impressed he's managed to walk an impartial line and not come down in favour of one side or the other.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem