RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:47 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,748
Default Chaplains in T2K

By the time of 2000, I imagine a chaplain something like a catholic priest in Monsignor who made a confession to his superior: "I have loved a woman, I have killed for my country, I have consorted with criminals...father, I am a priest!
__________________
All that stuff we know -- what if we're wrong? --Science Channel

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 AM
WallShadow's Avatar
WallShadow WallShadow is offline
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: near TMI
Posts: 466
Default

One wonders how many clergy have lost their faith, seeing what horrors man can inflict on fellow man?
__________________
"Let's roll." Todd Beamer, aboard United Flight 93 over western Pennsylvania, September 11, 2001.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Silent Hunter UK Silent Hunter UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
One wonders how many clergy have lost their faith, seeing what horrors man can inflict on fellow man?
Or people who have come to faith as they can no longer rely on fellow man - or indeed see that the End Times are coming.

Have you ever read Warday? There are a number of priest characters in that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
CDAT CDAT is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 237
Default

So here is my chaplain question for the group. Under current laws of war Chaplains can not touch weapons, this is the reason every one is assigned an aid. I am guessing that this would fall by the wayside but would it be before or after "you are on your own". Thoughts, if after then they (the character) would not start with a weapon, if before they would. But either way would they have much skill with it?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2017, 07:32 PM
The Dark The Dark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
So here is my chaplain question for the group. Under current laws of war Chaplains can not touch weapons, this is the reason every one is assigned an aid. I am guessing that this would fall by the wayside but would it be before or after "you are on your own". Thoughts, if after then they (the character) would not start with a weapon, if before they would. But either way would they have much skill with it?
After. I would expect many denominations to recall all their chaplains if the military required them to be armed.
__________________
Writer at The Vespers War - World War I equipment for v2.2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Draq Draq is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: texas
Posts: 299
Default

Like most things, I would think It would depend on the person and situation
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 PM
rcaf_777's Avatar
rcaf_777 rcaf_777 is offline
Staff Headquarter Weinie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Petawawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Under current laws of war Chaplains can not touch weapons, this is the reason every one is assigned an aid.
Actually under rule 25 of the Geneva Convention, both Medical and Religious persons are permitted to carry small arms for personnel protection and protection of their charges(Wounded) There is also (Protocol I, 8 June 1977, Art 43.2) that states chaplains are non-combatants, but dose address the issue of weapons.

The aid you talk about is not seen in many armies, outside of the US Army which has Chaplain Assistants, which carry small arms.

Many NATO nations consider Chaplains as commissioned officer, and under ago basic officer training. Most nations require them to have an ecclesiastical endorsement which come from that person completed all the requirements to be become a Chaplain in that faith. Additional a degree may also be required.

Germany is a exception as it has laws and Reichskonkordat between the Holy See and Germany, all of which prevent chaplains from joining military they are instead special civilian status.

More info can found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_chaplain#Germany

It should also be noted that there no US military regulation that prevents Chaplains for be awarded marksmanship awards.

I remember seeing chaplains armed with pistols in Afghanistan

I don't think it would be a big deal to leave to the PC's to decide if they have a pistol or rifle (nothing else)
__________________
I will not hide. I will not be deterred nor will I be intimidated from my performing my duty, I am a Canadian Solider.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:51 AM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,325
Default

The Catholic Chaplain we would pick up and bring back to our base carried a issue sidearm in 2003-2004. Some Chaplains are also Conscientious Objectors and do not carry. The Chaplains Assistant carried an M16A2. Because of the IED threat, my MP unit would come get the Chaplain in our M1114 Uparmored humvees, then return him to Battalion later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2017, 05:02 AM
Sanjuro Sanjuro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 288
Default

A good chaplain will drop everything when the troops need help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gewUQ8SGulU
Of course, the troops should protect them in return...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJNaF_btvg
__________________
I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:09 PM
rcaf_777's Avatar
rcaf_777 rcaf_777 is offline
Staff Headquarter Weinie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Petawawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 846
Default

Lets not forgot

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition, which may have said by Lt. J.G. Howell M. Forgy, USN, Chaplain, USS New Orleans (CL/CA-32)
__________________
I will not hide. I will not be deterred nor will I be intimidated from my performing my duty, I am a Canadian Solider.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-28-2017, 09:49 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
So here is my chaplain question for the group. Under current laws of war Chaplains can not touch weapons, this is the reason every one is assigned an aid. I am guessing that this would fall by the wayside but would it be before or after "you are on your own". Thoughts, if after then they (the character) would not start with a weapon, if before they would. But either way would they have much skill with it?
He would not come with a weapon, for he was not issued one; however, our battalion chaplain at 24th ID went to the range with our unit every chance he got, because he loved target shooting, and he could routinely shoot Expert. (I don't know if he was allowed to wear it on his uniform.) So a chaplain could in fact be deadly accurate, just not carrying a weapon (initially?).

The chaplain's assistant, on the other hand had a fully stocked HMMWV, and was literally the most heavily-armed man in the battalion, including an M16 with M203, an M1911A1 pistol, several AT-4s, a Dragon with 3 reloads, boxes of grenades, and ours carried both a hunting knife and a dagger. Of course, he also had to have mad skills and a good knowledge of rituals and holy books from several faiths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
It should also be noted that there no US military regulation that prevents Chaplains for be awarded marksmanship awards.
OK, question answered.
__________________
All that stuff we know -- what if we're wrong? --Science Channel

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 01-28-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Saw something that applies to my post.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-29-2017, 03:06 AM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,325
Default

I don't recall. However, I would swear the Catholic Chaplain I was transporting had and issue M9 pistol for self defense. I think having a pistol is a case by case basis. I could well be fully wrong on that too, as it is fourteen years later.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2017, 01:22 PM
pmulcahy11b's Avatar
pmulcahy11b pmulcahy11b is offline
The Stat Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
I don't recall. However, I would swear the Catholic Chaplain I was transporting had and issue M9 pistol for self defense. I think having a pistol is a case by case basis. I could well be fully wrong on that too, as it is fourteen years later.
I've never seen a Chaplain with an issue weapon. Of course, Iraq and Afghanistan changed the rules on just about everything, and I wasn't part of that, having already medically retired.
__________________
All that stuff we know -- what if we're wrong? --Science Channel

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM
The Dark The Dark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I've never seen a Chaplain with an issue weapon. Of course, Iraq and Afghanistan changed the rules on just about everything, and I wasn't part of that, having already medically retired.
The last I heard (although I'm a couple years out of touch with any chaplains) was that regs (FM 27-10, Army Regulation 165-1) required chaplains to be unarmed in combat and in unit combat skills training.

More broadly, under the Geneva Conventions, chaplains are non-combatants, and one carrying a weapon could be considered to have forfeited the rights of a chaplain under Protocol I (e.g. they are not considered a POW, cannot be compelled to work, and must be provided transport between camps for visits to groups of POWs). An armed chaplain loses their protected status and, if wearing a chaplain's badge, could be found guilty of perfidy (falsifying protected status) and subjected to appropriate sentencing (usually execution, if history is any teacher). Likewise, chapel buildings (like hospitals) become legitimate targets if a weapon is taken into them - their protected status is contingent on not being used in a combat role.

Now, in the case of our current conflicts, where the opposing side isn't particularly beholden to the GC, it would make more sense to unofficially carry a personal weapon. For a more conventional conflict, less so.
__________________
Writer at The Vespers War - World War I equipment for v2.2
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:09 AM
bobcat bobcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 396
Default

i have seen it both ways. it seems the closer to garrison you get the less chaplains would be carrying. given sufficient manpower shortages i could see more chaplains carrying more weapons just so they can actually get around to the soldiers that most need a chaplain. i believe a rifle would lend more credibility among front line troops, after all how can you bless something you aren't willing to do.
__________________
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 AM
mpipes mpipes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 111
Default

Well, if we are talking the environment in summer 2000, my bet is "Geneva be damned"...if the chaplain wants a gun he will have it be it a pick up or issued. I think ultimately it would depend on the chaplain and the tenants or their convictions and faith. However, once the nukes are flying and things grow really desperate, no one is really going to raise a fuss about who is armed as far as Geneva is concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2017, 11:34 AM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,514
Default

I've been looking over some of the TO&Es for the 1970s and 1980s, and there was no authorized weapon for the chaplain, the captain's assistant was authorized an M-16. There were two MTO&Es, one for 2nd Armored Division Forward, dated May, 1981 and one for 2nd Infantry Division, dated January, 1985 that authorized pistols for the chaplain. Both of the MTO&Es were removed within the same year of issue.

These were the only two of thirty-one reviewed that mentioned armed chaplains.
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:14 PM
The Dark The Dark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
i have seen it both ways. it seems the closer to garrison you get the less chaplains would be carrying. given sufficient manpower shortages i could see more chaplains carrying more weapons just so they can actually get around to the soldiers that most need a chaplain. i believe a rifle would lend more credibility among front line troops, after all how can you bless something you aren't willing to do.
The flip side of that (and an argument I've seen from chaplains) is how can you speak about putting trust in God if you put your trust in an M16 instead of God? I can see points on both sides, and I expect there'd be a split, with some chaplains taking one position and some the other. I don't think there's a right answer, but either one can give a good basis for characterization of either a PC or NPC chaplain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes
Well, if we are talking the environment in summer 2000, my bet is "Geneva be damned"...if the chaplain wants a gun he will have it be it a pick up or issued. I think ultimately it would depend on the chaplain and the tenants or their convictions and faith. However, once the nukes are flying and things grow really desperate, no one is really going to raise a fuss about who is armed as far as Geneva is concerned.
I was thinking on that, and I agree the conventions would go out the window around the time the nukes start flying. After that, it would be a matter of conscience. My gut instinct is that Evangelicals and Catholics would be more likely to go armed, with non-evangelical Protestants less likely, but that's only based on each group's approach to just war theory, and I could be totally wrong (and I have no clue how non-Christian chaplains would approach it).
__________________
Writer at The Vespers War - World War I equipment for v2.2
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. ArmySGT. is offline
Internet Intellectual
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
The last I heard (although I'm a couple years out of touch with any chaplains) was that regs (FM 27-10, Army Regulation 165-1) required chaplains to be unarmed in combat and in unit combat skills training.

More broadly, under the Geneva Conventions, chaplains are non-combatants, and one carrying a weapon could be considered to have forfeited the rights of a chaplain under Protocol I (e.g. they are not considered a POW, cannot be compelled to work, and must be provided transport between camps for visits to groups of POWs). An armed chaplain loses their protected status and, if wearing a chaplain's badge, could be found guilty of perfidy (falsifying protected status) and subjected to appropriate sentencing (usually execution, if history is any teacher). Likewise, chapel buildings (like hospitals) become legitimate targets if a weapon is taken into them - their protected status is contingent on not being used in a combat role.

Now, in the case of our current conflicts, where the opposing side isn't particularly beholden to the GC, it would make more sense to unofficially carry a personal weapon. For a more conventional conflict, less so.
A pistol is usually typified as a defensive weapon due to short range and small cartridge. You will find Doctors and Nurses armed with pistols too.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-01-2017, 11:12 AM
James Langham2 James Langham2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mansfield, UK
Posts: 157
Default

In the British Army chaplains are unarmed. They are commissioned officers with a status of CF4 (Chaplain to the Forces grade 4 = Captain), CF3 (=Major) and CF2 (=Lt Col). They undertake a short course at Sandhurst for specialists (after ordaining) known colloquially as the "Vicars and Tarts Course."

They are banned from carrying weapons (indeed there was a fuss when one was photographed with a weapon in Afghanistan but many are interested in shooting (2 Para's chaplain in the early 1980s coached their shooting team).

They do not have assistants.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 PM
dragoon500ly dragoon500ly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Tennessee, USA
Posts: 2,514
Talking

In the U.S. military, chaplains are supposed to be unarmed, so I'm a bit puzzled about these stories of chaplains carrying such a variety of weapons. I've reviewed over 120 TO&Es and only two mention chaplain being armed, and equally interesting, both of these were removed within 12 months of being released. IMHO this indicates that when a chaplain is armed, they are violating military regulations, as well as the Geneva Conventions. Having said this, there are no regulations forbidding a chaplain from earning a shooting badge, they simply cannot carry a weapon in a combat zone.

As far as the chaplain's assistant, they are more drivers and administrative assistants, hence they are not violating regulations or Conventions if they go armed. In practice (Vietnam and Korea), they acted as a "bodyguard" for the chaplain.

As for medical personnel, this is a bit more open as they can be armed for self-defense purposes, especially in a guerrilla war where the rebels do not honor the Conventions. Indeed, in Vietnam especially, medics carried pistols and rifles, armed their ambulances and didn't hesitate to return fire when attacked.

In addition, Doctors and Nurses, in the U. S. Military, are commissioned officers and are authorized to carry pistols, but are not to engage in combat. I know, doesn't make sense, but it is the military and nowhere does it say it has to make sense.

So, for a T2K scenario, what does the poor GM do? It's your game, your decision is final.
__________________
The reason that the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-2017, 11:25 AM
Silent Hunter UK Silent Hunter UK is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 271
Default

I rather think the Geneva Convention has gone out of the proverbial window by this point.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM
unkated unkated is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Eastern Massachusetts
Posts: 356
Default

Chaplains may feel they are held by a higher level agreement than the Geneva Convention.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM
swaghauler swaghauler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 649
Default

Am I the only one who reads this thread and envisions the Priest from Hot Fuzz saying "F*** off grasshopper!" as he puts two into the hero?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 AM
James Langham2 James Langham2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mansfield, UK
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkated View Post
Chaplains may feel they are held by a higher level agreement than the Geneva Convention.
I can see a padre assisting fight marauders to defend a village for example. Might make a great NPC, a padre who fought as he had to defend others and now feels conflicted and tormented.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Adm.Lee Adm.Lee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
Am I the only one who reads this thread and envisions the Priest from Hot Fuzz saying "F*** off grasshopper!" as he puts two into the hero?
And no one's mentioned Shepherd Book from "Firefly"?

Zoe: "Doesn't the Bible have pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Book, loading a weapon: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the subject of kneecaps."

And if you watch the following combat scene, he's not aiming above the waist.

Also, "I wasn't always a Shepherd."
__________________
My Twilight claim to fame: I ran "Allegheny Uprising" at Allegheny College, spring of 1988.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:51 PM
James Langham2 James Langham2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mansfield, UK
Posts: 157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
And no one's mentioned Shepherd Book from "Firefly"?

Zoe: "Doesn't the Bible have pretty specific things to say about killing?"
Book, loading a weapon: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzy around the subject of kneecaps."

And if you watch the following combat scene, he's not aiming above the waist.

Also, "I wasn't always a Shepherd."
Much as I love it he's really a bad example as reading Joss Wheedon's info he is actually an agent who takes the identity of a dead priest (another nice NPC idea!)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-06-2017, 01:54 PM
James Langham2 James Langham2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mansfield, UK
Posts: 157
Default

Actually another thought - the film "The Mission" gives a perfect example of the soldier who tormented by his crimes becomes a priest and has to decide if he should take up arms with the natives against the SPanish.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 PM
CDAT CDAT is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 237
Default

I was talking with my cousin this last weekend (who this is what he does in the Air Force) and according to him, they are not allowed to carry arms or even train with them. And if they were to pick one up in a battle and use it even to defend them self they would be charged under the UCMJ after the battle. How does this apply to the T2K? My guess is that it would be very late in the game before many of them would start to carry weapons, so I could see them not starting the game with one, but after the game started it would be up to the individual and his/her faith on if they would pick one up post battle or try and trade for one. And none of this means that they can not know about them or even have skill in using them. My cousin transferred in from Security Forces (so I hope he would know something about weapons, and he was saying that his boss in chaplains core is a triathlon or something like that so he shoots as part of his sport.)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.